Marriage is Overrated

I think marriage is overrated. All it is to me is a signed document and a “promise.” But when one is getting married, how do they know the future? They don’t. I do not think that people have to be married to have children, I don’t think people have to be married to be in love forever. Now that I’m thinking of it…Who even created marriage?!

Who would think of it? Let’s go to a church, sign a paper, and celebrate us being in love? It doesn’t make sense to me especially in today’s culture. I feel that marriages are made to be broken, and if you grow and evolve as a person, chances are you are going to shy away from your partner at one point or another, and then it just puts you in a sticky situation.

In addition, I also agree that gay marriage should be legal, but I don’t think it should be such a big deal. Why spend your time fighting for a paper, instead of being happy and living your life to the fullest?

I know I am being very salty right now, but it’s because of things going on in my life, but I don’t feel comfortable going into detail. I think marriage just makes everything difficult, I think fighting is stupid, and I think you will always grow apart no matter what. Then you’re just “stuck” with them until you practically go bankrupt filing for a divorce.

I have seen too many couples fight, too many divorces, too many people fall out of love to believe that marriage is a good thing anymore.

No matter how fascinated you are about that “happily ever after,” marriage does not guarantee you everlasting happiness; it just makes you seem “normal.” You are always going to be happy over some things, and unhappy about others.

While reading an article on the Internet, I came across the idea that marriage is artificial and unnatural. There is nothing more natural then falling in love, but signing a paper to promise your partner to “love each other until death do us part,” is not natural at all. I think you should just let the love run its course, if it stays it stays, but if it dwindles, it happened for a reason.

On a side note: I would love to be the princess for the day, wear a beautiful dress, and drink champagne with all of my family and friends, but I think you’re lying to yourself, and believing in something you wish was true.

• “A good marriage would be between a blind wife and a deaf husband.”
• “Love is blind, marriage is the eye-opener.”
• “If variety is the spice of life, marriage is the big can of leftover SPAM.”

7 thoughts on “Marriage is Overrated

1. Steph Hawk

I absolutely love this post and I could not agree with it more. I give my parents serious props for being married for twenty eight years, but at the end of the day they don’t need a piece of paper to be as happy as they are and thankfully, they know that just as well as I do. Marriage is completely overrated and though I think gay marriage should be legal, I agree that people should fuss less about achieving marriage equality and focus on loving their partners overall. As you said, who needs a piece of paper to prove they love the person they are with?

2. aml370

Girl, did you just come back from the ocean? Because you salty! Joking aside, I love your anger in this piece. It’s true. A lot of this feels like my own anger from my parents’ separation. My dad makes such a big deal that they signed a contract to be together forever. Those words enrage me. How are you expected to know who you want to spend the rest of your life with? Even if you’ve known them for years, things change and new people come along. I don’t think there is anything wrong with not getting married? Why is making a simple promise to your loved one not enough?

3. stm5275

I love this post! I think it is so real and honest. People think that there is something wrong with criticizing marriage, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I think that in some cases marriage can be overrated, but I honestly believe that it is meant to work out for some relationships. I think some people are completely fine in being in committed relationships without the title of marriage. But I also think that some couples really need the stability that a marriage can bring. You bring up some really interesting points, and I am really glad you were so honest in your post, even if it was a little salty!

4. Emily Keifline

I love this so much and I couldn’t agree more. I’ve always thought marriage was weird, even before I decided that I didn’t want to be married. Why do you need a piece of paper to consummate your love? Why is it even necessary for two people to “promise” to be together forever? Why can’t they just “promise” to be together until they’re sick of each other? As for the gay marriage aspect, I do understand where you’re coming from, but I also understand that many people do find marriage to be very important, and I think gay couples that feel that way should have the right to be married. In addition, I think it’s more the principle that they can’t be married than the actual desire to marry, but I could be wrong. Even though I don’t wish to get married, if I was gay, I think I would want the option. I also agree that marriage doesn’t guarantee you a “happily ever after,” quite the opposite actually. Many people find themselves very happy until they get married, immediately start fighting and start having regrets. I think you made so many good points here, great post!

5. Bethany Mannon

A little bit salty! But I enjoyed reading this — and it’s based on a completely valid critique of marriage.

6. Megan Margaret Moyer

You have a really good point and I agree for the most part. I think that most people get married for the symbol of their commitment to one another. Your view is very insightful on a more logistical view of marriage. I’ve seen both good and bad marriages so I’m very torn but I have hope from seeing my parents’ very successful marriage. It’s very clear that you know what you want in a relationship and you know that marriage isn’t for everyone. One of my high school teachers, who I still keep in touch with, was never married because she doesn’t believe in it. She has been committed to her husband though for many years and have 2 children. I don’t think you need to be married, by signing papers and exchanging rings, if you don’t believe it is what’s right for your relationship. Great post!

7. Terah Ann Glose

With the success rate of marriages right now being only 50% it is reasonable to question what is the purpose of it. If you are happy just being with the person you love why mess it up by putting everything in writing and putting strains on it? These are questions I have asked myself recently, after being engaged for almost 4 years with no clear sign of a wedding date to be set. Does it even matter to have the big show, to be stress by financial burdens for what 20 minutes of ceremony, 3 hours of partying? Then what? Years of debt to pay off the many credit cards used to buy flowers that wilted the day after. I think about these things every time someone asks when the big day is.
    Do I need a big day….
    Or is the way our life is right now just fine?
    We are happy so who is it hurting that we don’t have that paper signed?
    Then when I try to answer that last question I some times find myself answering.. me…