“You know what? Bitches get stuff done.”

I am a feminist to some extent; I would just describe myself as a very bad one. I believe that women should have the same job opportunities as men, we should be able to represent ourselves, and be treated with the same respect as men, but I also feel that we were created to do certain jobs ourselves. I believe that women should cook, clean and do chores in the house, and men should grill and do work outside of the house. Different types of people are just better at different things.

But I do not think that is the real issue. Before this class I did not have a clear understanding of what it meant to be a feminist because the only people I ever saw portray themselves in that way and advertise their viewpoints were braless, hairy legged women. Please note that I do not have any room to judge, as I am currently braless and unshaven. But after I went through all of the types of feminism and what they mean – Marxist, Anarchist, Radical and Black Feminism… – I decided that I didn’t really fit any of these categories. So I would like to invent my own category, a mild feminist. One who does not just believe in the equality of women versus men, but all humans together. As Madonna once said, “I am not a feminist, I am a humanist.” I honestly couldn’t agree with it more. Feminism has a negative connotation, and honestly, I feel like it always will. I think that people would be more effective if they start fighting for the equality of all people, not just women.

1st and 2nd feminists all had a specific goal that they pretty much achieved in the end, but modern day feminists (3rd wave), are very discombobulated and are not fighting for a common goal. Therefore, I feel that it is difficult to identify with a certain group/type of feminism. We focus more on the types, and fighting with other women than actually standing up for our rights and making a difference. Think about it, women are constantly getting in tiffs and having issues between each other. What matters most in this situation?

I also think that there will always be a level of discrimination between men and women. I think the goal of feminism should not be to end it, but to be able to control in a way that these acts of discrimination should stand out from the rest, and it would be hard to look away.

5 thoughts on ““You know what? Bitches get stuff done.”

1. stm5275

Julie I really loved your post! I think its really honest and I can really relate to some of your points. I personally think I am a feminist, but it is by no means is it something that I am extremely passionate about. I have opinions about certain gender roles, but at the end of the day I think that people should be able to do whatever they want to do. I have learned a lot about what the idea of feminism truly is and I can proudly say “I am now a feminist”. And even if it is a bad one, I still support the overall concept that women should be treated 100% equally.

2. Claire Silva

When you called yourself a “bad feminist” it reminded me of this Buzzfeed quiz that someone sent me once: http://www.buzzfeed.com/catesevilla/are-you-a-bad-feminist. It’s not exactly the same as what you’re talking about, but it gets at a similar idea. It seems that a lot of people have this idea that to be a feminist, you can only fit into one feminist mold. Instead, I think that people can believe in equality between the sexes, but also have traditional, gendered interests. I think that was what you were getting at! I appreciated reading your post.

3. kau5041

I love this post! I like the fact that you are not afraid to call yourself a “bad” feminist and that you explained your point very clearly! I 100% agree with the idea that all the terms, regarding the topic, make it hard to find common ground for the feminist movement. Also, I would agree that feminism will always have a somewhat negative connotation and is not the best term to represent the idea of equality between sexes. My friends and I always toss around the word “Equalist” (which I am pretty sure is not a real word lol). I think that words such as humanist or equalist do represent what women, and all people, are fighting for more clearly and eliminate the stereotypes that come with the word feminist.

4. Kathryn Lynn Glembocki

Although I don’t agree that women were created to do certain jobs, I do believe that people have different aptitudes. If a woman wants to cook and clean, she should go for it an no one should tell her otherwise. But they’re are some men who really like cooking and cleaning so… I feel like its sexist to tell them that’s not their place. So… I really like your idea of mild feminism. I have trouble connecting with people who get really angry or have very set opinions. Why not just let everybody be fluid? And do what comes naturally? and treat everybody equally no matter what?

5. Arissa Snyder

I really like your post. You brought up a lot of points that I never thought about. I think we share a lot of the same opinions on this topic. I believe in equality for everyone and that women need to stand on their own in order to get things accomplished. We are independent, regardless of what anyone says.
    Recently, someone was debating with me about why feminism even exists. I simply stated how it’s for equality. Women don’t want to be discriminated or taken advantage of simply because of our gender. After stating my side, the opposing person made a very good point to me, which struck me and has stayed in my mind since that day. He said, “If women want equality so badly, what do you think about the draft? I think if women want all this equality, then they should be forced into the draft when needed during war. You can’t honestly tell me that you would be willing to go into a draft in order to gain what you believe you women are lacking in equality?” (That is verbatim.) Yes, he was quite rude about the topic. He did have a point though. I personally would not want to be put in a draft. I would never be able to hold a weapon or be sent overseas. That is simply not who I am. Now, I know many women who would be more than capable of doing those tasks, which is why we have women who defend our country everyday.
    This is a great post which really made me think about what exactly I believe. Concepts are constantly changing, so I know my views and beliefs will be changing over time.