Steve Lacy: The Musical Genius

Steve Lacy is a 22-year-old singer, artist, producer, musician from Compton, California. He is apart of the band the internet and impressively produces most of his songs on Garageband. His music consists of inspirations from all types of genres but mainly neo-soul and funk.

Listen To Steve Lacy Talk About His Work On Kendrick Lamar's DAMN. | The  FADER

Rico Nasty born Maria-Cecilia Simone Kelly, is an DMV rapper and  songwriter. She is known for her unique punk fashion, raspy voice, and overall weird demeanor.

Demo (2017):

Steve Lacy: Steve Lacy's Demo Album Review | Pitchfork

Number of songs: 6 songs (13 minutes)

1.) Some: Some is better then Dark Red in my opinion the beat, melodies, everything about this song flows so effortlessly. His signature sound is something I had not really heard in new artists until he came out and I think that is what makes his music so addictive for me.

2.) Dark Red: The transition in this song is so smooth I didn’t even noticed it happened until I continuously relistened. This song is hard to describe but so good it reminds me of a 70s-50s black singing group with his harmonies and lyrics.

3.) Ryd: The grip this song had on me in 2017 and still it is a classic I can’t get tired of this song.

4.)Looks: This song has such a nice beat it reminds of the 70’s it’s very funky, however, it is very short.

5.) Thangs: The way he harmonizes it reminds me of something Andre 3000 would produce

6.) Haterlovin: This song was good I just do not listen to it as much because it sounds like radio echoes and has a jumbled beat

Apollo XXI(2019):

The future of sex sounds like Steve Lacy's Apollo XXI | The FADER

Number of songs:12 (43 minutes)

1.) N Side: This is a feel good song and the beat is so refreshing it reminds me of his old melodies with an urban beat, The chorus is very catchy in general.

2.) Only If: This song is so short is makes me mad, but the lyrics and the instrumental makes me so happy/calm. I feel like i’m being guided.

3.) Outro Freestyle/4ever: I don’t care what anyone else says this song is so good I love both parts. Steve really ended the album with a bang with both parts sounding completely different from each other.

4.) Lay Me Down: The instrumental paired with his serenading is so relaxing. He barely has actual lyrics in the songs besides touch me or when you lay me down, yet the song is still addictive.

5.) Love 2 Fast: His guitar riff at the end hand me floating

6.) Guide: This song reminds me of Prince and clearly has strong influences from his sound. I love it when male artists sing in registers like this.

7.) Hate CD: This song reminds of the Thats 70s show, I just love the lyrics.

8.) In Lust We Trust

9.) Like Me

10.) Playground

11.) Basement Jack

12.) Amandla’s Interlude

The Lofi’s (2020):

Steve Lacy - The Lo-Fis Lyrics and Tracklist | Genius

Number of songs:15 (25 minutes)

1.) Uuu: This song is just good, even if his music is not your type of vibe, you will probably have this song stuck in your head or like it. I only hate how short it is, but its super cute and flirty.

2.) Infrumari: This song reminds me of an older brother version of C U Girl, This man has the voice of a siren, the song is hypnotizing but the beat is overall what keeps you coming back.

3.) 4real: The song is very different coming from him and it’s so nice. I like the way he drags out his words in this song.

4.) That’s No Fun: I loved this song ever since he previewed it on his lives, so when I finally heard it fully I screamed. This song weirdly reminds me of sophomore biology class or taking the bus in the rain, it has a very soothing feel to it

5.) When I: It’s really the lyrics and the beat, It is hard to describe

6.) Jars of it: The instrumental is giving Maroon 5 vibes but it is so simple and nice listen

7.) I Think I Should: This song is basically a guitar instrumental featuring his voice, still a good listen.

8.) Daze

9.) Hummer

10.) Bars 16

11.) Donchano

12.) Out of Me Head

13.) Cocky Girl

14.)The Song

15.) Atomic Vomit

RANKINGS:

1.) Apollo XXI: This album was straight up good he succeeded my expectations, I thoroughly enjoyed the album. I wish I could have seen it live because my it seemed like such a fun album to see performed. He gives us his old high school feel but still made his sound mature. It reminded me of the 70s/80s and Prince all the things I love so 10/10

2.) Demo: I would pay money to listen to this demo for the first time again, It is hard to believe it was produced by a 17 year old in its entirety. It feels nostalgic yet new again, and really was different from anything I ever heard before. I was blessed enough to see him perform it in person and It sounds so much better hearing live. This album will forever go in my top albums category and it is only a demo.  10/10

3.)The Lofi’s: He made this entire album on his phone, in highschool. The talent and skill this man has is simply unbelievable. He finally released his soundcloud leaks which is why the songs are so short but they are still so good. No a single skip on this whole album. It’s only 25 minutes it is an enjoyable listen but I felt like I was being cut off.  9.9/10

0 comments