Favorite Honors Course

When I was trying to decide what was my favorite honors course, I had to come to some criteria for what constituted “favorite”. After some deliberation, I decided that my favorite honors course would be the one that benefited me the most, not simply the one I liked the most.

Two classes came to mind after considering the above. First, would be Phil 110H, the philosophy of science. This was the course I probably liked the most. We read six different books and grappled with questions and arguments relating to genetics, epigenetics, biological systems, organismal communication, biodiversity, evolution, social justice, economic justice, aesthetics, scientific laws, and the moral imperative. As someone who is heavily interested in biochemistry and already had a working knowledge of the science we were discussing, this class was naturally fascinating to me. I also learned immense amounts of knowledge pertaining to global issues in biodiversity and climate change. Getting to see the interrelatedness between social justice and climate change was something that broadened my perspective on the world. This was also my second class with the professor teaching the class, whom I have come to both admire and deeply respect.

Despite this glowing reflection I have provided for Phil 110H, I am going to go with MICRB 201H – Intro to Microbiology – as my favorite honors course. I think it’s important to note that I have a wide variety of interests, so this class was also highly intriguing for me with regards to the content. Microbio was undeniably a difficult class for me, and during the semester I took it I realized why; I had no studying skills. None. I had cruised through high school without ever studying and now it was catching up to me. I realized that now that I had the need to study, I didn’t know how to. Needless to say, I did not achieve the greatest marks on my first few exams in 201H. However, instead of doing the same thing and expecting the same results – what Einstein called madness – I decided to figure out how to study. I explored different methods until I truly realized what works for me. Hands down, this has been the most useful thing I have gained from any class for doing well in any class. The class itself was enjoyable, although taxing. The professor, Dr. Porter, had the dry sense of humor that I find amusing. I will forever remember some of the jokes he made, and the running gags we as a group have outside of the classroom. Irrespective of the work necessary at times, I am extremely grateful for the valuable skills I have gained from MICRB 201H.

Given the criteria I mentioned earlier, Intro to Microbiology takes my vote for favorite honors course. I have had relatively good experiences with honors courses thus far, and am enthusiastic for future classes I may take!