CAS 138T Ideas

The “This I Believe” podcast is a very interesting assignment. While I have not narrowed down what I will be discussing, I do have two ideas. The first centers around a mantra that I have tried to live by – “Don’t stop until you’re proud.” Growing up I always watched the rest of my immediate family work hard, and continue to do that no matter what. This phrase truly resonates with me and as a whole reflects my mindset and my experience growing up. My second idea revolves around my belief in the power of everyday kindness. So many people I know today were once victims of bullying, or had negative social experiences that affected their self-esteem. Simple acts of kindness, like a small compliment, or holding open the door for someone, can mean the world to anyone having a rough day. Even if you cannot affect change on a large scale in someone’s life, you can brighten up one moment in a dark time.

With regards to my Civic Issues Blog, both of my ideas are focused under the “Politics” category. As my major is International Politics, my focus would also like to be on U.S. Foreign Policy. The first topic I am considering is current American involvement in the Middle East/how they are indirectly involved/how prior involvement has led to issues in the region today. I would have at least one post dedicated to the war in Yemen and how the U.S.’s continued support of Saudi Arabia has resulted in more destruction, and possibly another addressing how the U.S. divided the Middle East in the 20th century, and how these lines have caused turmoil. The second topic I am considering is how the current U.S. administration is handling economic relationships with prior allies, with a focus on rising Asian economies, such as China and Japan. If I do this second topic, I would expand onto describing how, if tariffs and other issues economically continue, our individual lives may be affected.

One thought on “CAS 138T Ideas

1. I LOVE your choice for the “This I Believe” speech. I find random acts of kindness so important in a day and age like this. These acts are what make the world go round. Your first choice for your civic issue blog is very interesting as well. As the United States being a world superpower, are we really doing a good job when we get involved in foreign affairs? Sometimes we only add fuel to the fire, and that certainly is not a good thing. Analyzing what the United States has done wrong in the Middle East will be a very interesting topic for sure.