Deliberation Nation – Attending Another Event

During the Deliberation Nation event series, I also attended “Old McDonald HAD a Farm, But Now There’s GMO’s: Genetic Engineering and Capitalism” in addition to my own deliberation event.

I found this deliberation event incredibly interesting. I particularly enjoyed their approach with regards to how the patents and use of GMO’s by major corporations would affect small farms. It was interesting in Fraser Street Commons, because they had one older man there (who I assumed was most likely an agricultural sciences professor, or at least someone very knowledgeable on the issue) who was leading the conversation, and another older man who seemed to know slightly less but was still contributing. In all honesty, while I greatly appreciated his (obviously) thoroughly researched opinion, I wanted to hear more from the rest of the audience. It felt like I was voluntarily sitting in a lecture hall instead of attempting to partake in a discussion of this issue. Either a lecture or observing a discussion between the two older men as they spoke briefly and ended up agreeing on the (assumed) professor’s opinion, while everyone else watched.

With this, I did not appreciate that the moderators just let this (assumed) professor speak. I feel as though they should have stepped in and suggested that someone else talk, or that he allow someone else the opportunity to ask him questions or provide a counterpoint. I do understand, however, that this could be concerning if this is his area of expertise, because if you say something that was wrong, you may be looked down upon. I understand that this is not what is supposed to happen during a deliberation, where every opinion and question is valid, but that was the energy that this professor was emanating.

I did, however, enjoy the discussion when there was some. Everyone seemed more concerned with the survival of the small farms with regards to the introduction of these patents, but I was not sure why this was as much of an issue as they made it to be. If the small farms abide by the patents and purchase the seeds, then what risk does it run to their farms? This may have just been me not reading the issue guide thoroughly enough, but I was mildly confused.

Overall, I really did enjoy this deliberation, however, as it was a very educational experience on a topic that I was not previously very knowledgeable on, and the SuperTeam did a very good job trying to make sure that the discussion was as educated as possible.