About Me

Hi, my name is Kathryn Kulp; however, I prefer the nickname Kate. Having grown up on a dairy farm in rural Pennsylvania, I knew from a young age that I wanted a career within the agricultural field. My dad has always been proud of what he does, and takes every opportunity to remind both his employees and children of the farm’s purpose—to produce food for the world. That’s something that I hope to always be a part of. However, it took me some time to decide which path to pursue with my college career. I’ve always loved animals, so initially, I thought perhaps I would become a veterinarian. Unfortunately, after spending time shadowing the local veterinarian—I came close to passing out during various surgeries—I decided that wasn’t the route for me. I later decided I enjoyed working with numbers and money, so I chose to study business at Penn State Altoona. Because of the close proximity to my home, Penn State Altoona was a logical choice. By commuting, I continued to feel involved with both the farm and my home life. I have learned many things through my education at Penn State. One of the most substantial, has been to manage my time wisely. Working on a dairy farm and being a full-time student can be a bit overwhelming. Upon graduating in May 2020, I hope to pursue a career working in the dairy industry. My goal is to eventually buy into the family farm and become a partner in the business.