The Perks of Being a Wallflower: Welcome to the Island of Misfit Toys

Intro

As we settle into some colder weather, all I want to do is just snuggle up in my twin sized dorm bed and watch a movie! One of my most favorite comfort movies is The Perks of Being a Wallflower. This coming of age movie was based on the best selling book written by Stephen Chbosky and interestedly enough, Chbosky directed this movie which was released in 2012.
This film tells the story of freshman Charlie navigating the new environment of high school where he finds two new friends and mentors: Patrick and Sam. Throughout the movie, Charlie learns about love and loss while dealing with past trauma. It has an incredibly deep and moving plot that always leaves me in tears. This movie received an 85% on Rotten Tomatoes and was described on their website as a movie that “will make you feel like a teenager again.”

Cast

The Perks of Being a Wallflower has a knockout cast including some of the most well-known actors of time. Logan Lerman portrays Charlie, the main character, and is also recognizable in the blockbuster hit series, Percy Jackson. Ezra Miller plays the lovable and constantly funny Patrick, who is Sam’s stepbrother. Some may say that Emma Watson, who plays Sam, is the most notable and moving character within the whole film. She is widely well known for her role of Hermonie in the Harry Potter series that grossed over 7 billion dollars in revenue.

This interview done by The Dollar Theater gives insight on the cast members and the fun-loving and close relationship they have with each other. Stephen Chbosky is also in this interview and gives such a clear view on the stake he hold in the production of the film.

In recent news, Ezra Miller has been taken to court over accusations of burglary and may be facing 26 years in prison. Over the past couple of years Miller has had a troubled relationship with the law and received multiple criminal charges.

Soundtrack

This soundtrack is full of some great hits that are relevant to the time this movie takes place, which is the early 1990s. It features popular bands of the time (of whom are still popular now) including The Smiths, New Order, and David Bowie. Although these artists might be some ‘big names’ the soundtrack keeps a constant mood and inner dialogue of Charlie.

Two of the most important songs in this soundtrack are David Bowie’s “Heros,” and The Smith’s “Asleep.” Throughout the movie, Charlie, Sam, and Patrick are constantly searching for the tunnel song. By the end of their adventures, when everyone is leaving for college and starting their new futures, the tunnel song is found to be “Heroes,” and we see this idea of freedom and infiniteness come full circle.

Of course my friends and I had to listen to this song and have our own ‘tunnel moment’ after
our graduation. It was invigorating and this song holds such a special place in my heart.

Another key song within the plot of the film and The Smith’s “Asleep.” Charlie originally hears this song after given a mixtape made by his sister’s boyfriend. It is somber and sad
song that follows Charlie through his emotional endeavors of navigating friendship and complicated love.

Dexys Midnight Runners’ “Come On Eileen,” is probably my favorite song on the soundtrack. It is played during the school’s homecoming dance which leads to the very famous and spirited dance scene between Sam and Patrick. This was one of the first scenes of the movie that they filmed which helped bond the cast members to create a tight-knit group for the remainder of the movie.

This soundtrack is also on vinyl, which is a rare thing to find from modern day movie scores. As the popularity of the book and movie grew, this soundtrack has become a rare commodity. I have been scouring the internet for a couple years now in search of one, and most are priced well over 70 dollars!

Conclusion

This movie is one that I can watch anytime and anywhere. Often, many people are hesitant to watch it when I suggest it and think that it will just be another shallow teen movie. Although this movie may have some classic trope and laugh-out-loud scenes, it is a truly deep and heart wrenching movie that deals with extremely sensitive and mature topics. Of course as an English major I will always encourage everyone to read the book first, but even as two separate entities, both pieces of media are standalone winners.

2 Comments on The Perks of Being a Wallflower: Welcome to the Island of Misfit Toys

1. keg5736
    October 28, 2022 at 4:37 pm (2 years ago)

I agree, I love this movie so much! Being from Pittsburgh, I’ve always had a really special connection with the characters and story, especially the tunnel scene! I always forget that there were so many famous people in this movie, including Emma Watson. This post made me want to rewatch Perks of Being a Wallflower again.

2. nal5435
    October 28, 2022 at 4:51 pm (2 years ago)

This film changed me on multiple levels when I watched it for the first time. Also, now whenever I listen to Heroes, I feel like I’m a whole new person and I’m in the tunnel myself. I also seriously recommend reading the book, as I read it first, but this may one of the only times where I think the movie is possibly better than the book.