Some of My Favorite Songs

I think almost all of us have a particular taste in music and a list of what we consider to be our “all time favorite songs.” I consider myself to be a fairly eclectic and open-minded person and enjoy listening to all types of music, whether it is from different cultures, languages, styles, or genres. If I had to list all my “favorite” songs, we would be here for hours, maybe even a couple days. So- instead of boring you to death and endlessly listing them all, I thought I’d just share a few.

1.) Drops of Jupiter- Train

It has been 14 years since Drops of Jupiter was released, and I can whole-heartedly say it still continues to be one of my absolute favorite songs to listen to. Drops of Jupiter is just one of those “feel-good” songs that automatically puts you in a 49brighter mood. Overall, it has a smooth, rock feel to it with a moderate speed, making it pleasant to listen to. Not only are the vocals sung with passion and personality, but the classic piano and orchestral backdrop gives the song a richer sound, as well as a symphonic rock touch. Another reason why I love this song is because the lyrics are somewhat quirky, yet poetic. Lyrics like “She checks out Mozart while she does tae-bo” and “Did Venus blow your mind?” are so unique that it makes the song more intriguing and stand out from the others.

2.) Danza Kaduro- Don Omar ft. Lucenzo 

Danza_Kuduro_(single_cover)There is something about the song Danza Kaduro- scratch that- Latin music in general that makes me want to break out into dance every time I hear it.  Although I don’t understand a single word of the song, the extremely infectious beat compensates for it. The entire song has an upbeat Reggae tune to it, which I find particularly catchy and fun. If you ever need to feel energized or uplifted, listen to this song. Not to mention- it’s great workout music!

3.) Born this Way- Lady Gaga 

tumblr_inline_ni6hiqV6M61r2300zThis song speaks to me and touches me emotionally due to the powerful message it conveys. The song promotes the idea of accepting ourselves for the way God made us and to take pride in who we are as a person. Especially when my self-esteem is low, or I feel conscious about my appearance, this song makes me feel a sense of identity, self-worth, and confidence.

4.) Don’t Stop Believing-Journey journey-dsb-re

If you haven’t heard this song yet, stop what you’re doing and listen to it. Truth be told, I am guilty of blasting this song several times in the car and belting out the lyrics embarrassingly loud. There is nothing more to say other than the fact that this song is one of those “classic songs” that is easy to sing along to, has a great tune and has extraordinary guitar instrumental.

5.) I Want it That Way- BackStreet Boys 

In spirit of Throwback ThursdI_Want_It_That_Wayay, I just had to add this one onto my list. Who doesn’t love the Backstreet Boys, right?  Every time I hear this song, I am instantly reminded of my childhood- the times when boy bands were actually good.  The harmonies in this song are simply amazing, the voices blend extremely well, and again, it is highly catchy.

5.) Shake it Off- Taylor Swift

Let’s be real-would this list really be complete without a T-Swift song?  Most of you are probably sick of this song by now. I, on the other hand, have an unhealthy obsession with it, and I can never seem to get enough. Even if I am feeling stressed, angry, or upset, the cheerful nature of the song can always put me in a happier mood. Another aspect of the song I like is the simple balance between the subtle saxophone line and the vocals. Finally, I really appreciate the message of the song because it is trying to convey the inspirational idea of letting loose, having fun, being yourself and ignoring what the “haters” think of you.

article-swift5-0818

What are some of your favorite songs and why?

2 Comments on Some of My Favorite Songs

1. Melanie Marie Ramirez
    April 9, 2015 at 5:30 pm (9 years ago)

I actually like all five of the songs you mentioned. As soon as I read you mentioned Drops of Jupiter my head instantly began to “hum” the song. I think that, just like Don’t Stop Believing, it’s one of those songs that does not get old. I also absolutely love Danza Kuduro, back home this song is always on repeat and it has even become some type of “Macarena” since the lyrics, just like Macarena, mandate you to do/follow a dance (like putting one hand in the air — la mano arriba–, moving your hips –cintura sola–and making a “half turn”– la media vuelta). Im not going to lie, I do like some boy bands of today, or boy bands that used to exist, like The Jonas Brothers. However, there is just something about the Backstreet Boys (and let’s not exclude NSYNC) that always gets me. In fact, even today, I jam to them as I take a shower with the “90s music” station in Pandora. With that being said, do I even have to mention Taylor Swift? I think thats its a taken that about 85% of all girls today either like her or her songs, and to put simply, let’s just say I’m part of that 85%.

2. Kyle Trabocco
    April 9, 2015 at 5:24 pm (9 years ago)

I was so sad when I noticed Lorde was not on your list. But then I noticed T-swift was and that made up for your transgressions. Since they are now best buddies, you pretty much included Lorde through the distributive property friendship. Overall this was a pretty interesting list. I cannot say I heard of the first two songs on you list, but they might be worth a listen.