I started a new certificate program today from ATD. The title of the course is “Advanced E-Learning Instructional Design Certificate Program,” and the stated objectives are as follows:

• Create e‐learning designs using the CCAF (Context, Challenge, Activity and Feedback) Model to maximize retention and behavioral transfer
  • Adapt design strategies for different types of content
  • Use the fundamental principles of brain science and evidence‐ based practice to create effective learning experiences
  • Judge when, where, and how best to use game design principles for learning
  • Use behavioral change principles to address motivation/affect design challenges
  • Appropriately space learning events for optimal impact on learner cognition and behavioral change
  • Determine the role of eLearning in a blended performance support solution

The first day of these courses is always a little slow in my experience, and this one was no exception. We mostly walked through some introductory information about instructional design and various modalities used in training, and we dipped a toe into some behavioral change research, which is the part I find most interesting so far. The instructor also provided some supplemental resources along the way, so I’ll be sharing the best ones here and via Twitter over the next few weeks. Here’s the first batch:

Supplemental Reading:

The Myth of the Importance of Retention of Information via Education Outrage

Spacing Learning Over Time via Work Learning Research, a website that includes a great catalog of research-to-practice reports  and materials related to designing for learning and performance

Flowchart: Is training really the answer? via Cathy Moore (I was glad to see this one, because I’ve already been using it with several other materials from Cathy Moore in the planning for my Learning Paths Project)