Mae.. Boring??

In today’s society, nothing can go by without it being documented on some type of social media. Whether it be Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, or Facebook, any slightly interesting event that occurs is posted about. One of my good friends is an example of one of these people. Anything he sees, he will take a picture or video of and add it on to his snapchat story- whether it be a picture of his dinner, a football game, or even just a video of a stranger dancing in New York City. Quite frankly, I have become very annoyed with this social media craze. I have said something to my friend to “stop snapchatting his every move.” Social media, in my opinion, has taken over today’s youth and caused them to only see the world through a phone screen. When Kanye West performed at the Bryce Jordan Center, I looked around the arena, and all I saw were phones in the air, recording the show. Some people were not even watching Kanye perform live, rather than watching him through their Snapchat screen. Why would you rather see him through a screen, as one normally would, when you have the opportunity to look directly at him in person? It made no sense to me.

Today’s youth is not so different from Mae, in The Circle. Everyday, she lives behind a screen, whether it be her computer at her office, or her phone out in public. Rather than enjoying the events she attends, she is on her phone talking about them. It’s as if she is only able to enjoy the moments life brings her if she shares them with those on social media. I believe Mercer to be right in this situation. If Mae is only sharing her experiences instead of actually living them, how is that suppose to be fun? It is boring. It is bland. It is not a healthy way to live your life. Mae is not alone in this situation. Every person who lives behind their phone, sharing every event in their lives, is a boring person. They have become so invested in what other people think about the events they attend, rather than what they personally think of the experience. In this day and age, who really cares if YOU went to a concert or met the President, if they weren’t there to experience it as well? It may bring about some jealousy seeing these posts, but it won’t take away from the fact that you are the one living in this moment. None of your Twitter followers will be able to say they had the same experience as you, and that is what brings about one’s uniqueness.

One thought on “Mae.. Boring??”

1. I agree that this trend in society is becoming slightly angering to me, however I cannot get too mad, because I realize that I am part of the problem sometimes. Nonetheless, when people post status updates on Facebook every day, or tweet multiple times or snapchats continuously it does bother me. Not only can a focus on social media have a negative impact on your health, but it can also suck the fun out of anything. Personally, I’d rather experience an event not through a screen but in person and be able to make personal relationships with people that are not built on our ability to communicate through a screen. I think you’ve done a great job summarizing this problem in today’s society and did very well with drawing in examples from the Circle!