This I Believe- Rough Draft

When I was little, I had this irrational thought that everything in my life would go exactly how I wanted it to. I thought that if I wanted something to happen, it would. I would not have to work for it, it would just come to me and everything would be perfect. As I grew up, to my surprise, nothing went the way I wanted it to. I was not the smartest in my class, I was not the prettiest, and I was not dating Justin Bieber- possibly the most irrational thought of them all. I kept thinking to myself why my life was not perfect, why nothing I dreamed of was coming true. The more bad experiences that I had, the more I realized that everything was working out nicely in the end. Although, at the time, the situations may not have been great, I ended up with a great outcome from the bad. This I Believe: Everything happens for a reason.

I can give numerous examples of experiences that I went through these past eighteen years which proves what I believe. However, I am going to talk about the most relatable experience of them all; College. I was extremely set on attending Northeastern University. I met the requirements and qualifications and thought I would be able to be granted admittance. I fell in love with the school, the environment, and the people. Nothing made me more nervous than getting the e-mail from the school and seeing what my decision would be. When I found out that I was not admitted into the school, my heart shattered. I felt as though it was the worst day of my life and my world came crashing down. Penn State was not necessarily my first choice. I had not visited the school and, because I was so set on Northeastern, I did not really give any other school the time of day. However, upon my rejection, I began looking at other schools more in depth and once I visited Penn State it immediately moved up on my list. Once I began freshman year, I realized that I would not have been happy at Northeastern. At least, not as happy as I am here. This school is exactly what I pictured college to be like and could not have asked for a better school to attend. The heartbreak that I experienced after not getting into my dream school was followed by a huge blessing in my life; Penn State.

Even though things did not work out the way I originally wanted them to, it resulted in something even better- pure happiness. I could not have asked for better friends, a better learning environment, and, I mean, what’s better than Penn State Football? My college decision experience just reaffirms everything that I believe in. Today, I couldn’t be happier to have received a rejection letter, because everything fell into place after. So, to that, I say This I Believe, everything happens for a reason.

One thought on “This I Believe- Rough Draft”

1. I think this is an extremely relevant and easy-to-relate-to topic that’s perfect for your audience. It’s a reminder that everybody needs, and I think your story will leave listeners feeling affirmed.
    I like the conversational expressions and tone you use throughout your script. It’ll make the piece more authentic when you’re reading it aloud, and it sounds right for your topic.
    If you plan to revise your script, maybe you could add some more details about your first couple days on campus and what changed your mind about Penn State.
    Great job
    -Jim