Guerrilla Marketing: McDonalds

Guerrilla Marketing McDonalds

Guerrilla Marketing McDonalds

McDonalds always jumps on in lucrative, innovative ideas. The crosswalk in a major city is passed by countless unsuspecting pedestrians and drivers every day. The fries painted on the crosswalk with a McDonald’s container under the stripes is simply a genius way of using guerilla marketing to target fast food lovers everywhere.

Guerrilla Marketing: Mr. Clean

Mr. Clean, the cleaning giant, took a similar approach as McDonalds did in guerilla marketing.

Mr. Clean's Guerrilla Stripe

Mr. Clean’s Guerrilla Stripe

Painting one of the stripes of the crosswalk bright white, while the others are covered by mud, and putting the Mr. Clean logo at the bottom of that stripe is a unique way to market their product. Seeing the Mr. Clean difference is a big part of their overall advertising, and this picture clearly implies that to anyone who walks over it.

Guerrilla Marketing: Denver Water Co

Denver Water Company came up with this clever guerrilla marketing campaign that was all over the place with half a billboard, or in this case half a park bench.

Denver Water Co Park Bench

Denver Water Co Park Bench

Not only did these ads use less material than a full ad, but they also forced people to reconsider their use of the Earth’s precious natural resources. This ad campaign served a dual objective of increasing Denver Water Company’s margins as well as serving the environment.

Guerilla Marketing: KitKat

KitKat's Guerrilla Marketing

KitKat’s Guerrilla Marketing

KitKat launched a similar park bench related ad campaign where they had an unwrapped KitKat painted on park benches. This was a really creative and easy use of guerilla marketing. The brand awareness for KitKat and their made to share candy bar was offset by the low cost of repainting some park benches. I’m sure I would grab a bar if I was sitting on that park bench.

Some Interesting Blogs

RED

From Robots to Star Trek: Politics in Science Fiction

This blog had a cool use of social media in it and a interesting design. The layout of the blog was also pleasing to the eye. The background mirrors some of the interesting topics that are discussed on this blog. The one blog post that linked politics to science fiction was really fascinating and what convinced me to pick this blog. One thin to change would be the thick black bar on the bottom that travels with you taking up a lot of screen space.

An article about Netflix paying off Comcast to provide quality speed to Netflix users

Zerohedge – A News blog

This blog had a lot more articles about news. These articles were meant to be informative rather than insightful, but many of them had some pretty good analysis of what they were sharing too.  The layout of the site is very cluttered, so one of the recommendations I would make is to cut down a few ads, so that they can get a lot more viewers, and sign on more profitable ads.

The Pain of Creating a blog entry on the New Existentalists Blog

The New Existentialists – A Philosophical Blog

I stumbled upon this blog on the Facebook wall of one of my friends. The article was the first thing that caught my eye, and most of the content on here is fascinating. The one critique I would have is that the unifying theme of this blog is lost in the jumble of the articles, and maybe should be stated on the first page, and the title is a little misleading. However, it looks really professional with a light background and a clear header, and the Saybrook University pattern on top.

A Post about the 2014 NFL Draft prospects for the Philadelphia Eagles

Bleeding Green Nation – An Eagles Blog

This blog is a professional one that I follow to be updated on the Eagles. I liked the layout of this blog that started with a traditional headline and a picture before any text, and the content is pretty accurate too. One change I would make again is with ads. There is a huge banner ad before the article even starts, and this could be relocated to the end of the article and retain its impact.

An article on an older actress who still inspires those around her.

Bollywood Journalist – A Blog on Indian Cinema

This blog mostly caught my eye due to the content, but I also think it uses pictures very effectively to retain the reader’s attention. The layout of the latest blog post suffers, because the second column is much, much shorter than the first one. That would be one critique, but the background is pretty appealing and the topics make for a good read.

Media of Aziz Ansari

Aziz Ansari, one of the main characters on Parks and Recreation and a terrific stand up comedian, is one of the funniest people I know. For this project,  I chose to pick one of his funnier stand up acts and an interesting dialogue from Parks and Recreation to characterize his wit.

Parks and Recreation

Parks and Recreation

What’s Going On

One of the classes I am taking my fourth semester here at Penn State to refine my language and basic HTML coding skills is Art 203: The Art of Web Design. While looking at the syllabus and description of this class, I was attracted to it due to the content and the name of the class. Over the years I have gathered some basic HTML skills, but when I went to put together a website for my parents’ cookie shop, I was at a loss. That project was, obviously, handed over to someone with a little more skill and expertise than I had; however, being an Entrepreneurship minor here at Penn State one of the major reasons I am taking this class and starting here is so that if I do need to build a website for my company or one of my employers, I have somewhat of an idea of what to do.

I have always heard that coding is easy, and you can teach yourself. One of the other reasons this class drew me in was the name. The art, not the technique was the title. I have learnt that a navigation bar like Bing, a layout like the Wall Street Journal with some bright and bold color choices make a good website not. The eye of design and the technical know how of the software combine as an art to successful website design. That is what I’m here to glean from this course, and practice is the only way to get there, so I am starting off small with this blog.