Passion

Glacier Bay National Park

Glacier Bay National Park is located in southeast Alaska. It covers 3.3 million acres of the 25 million acres of one of the world’s largest internationally protected areas, the World Heritage Site. Glacier Bay is home to some of the world’s most amazing scenery and wilderness. The marine and terrestrial wildlife is abundant and includes a diverse range of animals ranging from grizzly bears and mountain goats to harbor seals and humpback whales. 

4 Ways Onto The Water In Glacier Bay National Park | HuffPost Life Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve | national park, Alaska, United States | Britannica

The park was first documented and explored by John Muir in 1879. Since his documentation, scientists have been drawn to the park’s pristine ecosystems and natural successional processes. Glacier Bay is a clear example of how our world is changing due to climate change.

Glacier Bay Tour Boat - Glacier Bay National Park & Preserve (U.S. National Park Service)

The tidewater glaciers are the park’s main attraction. A tidewater glacier is a glacier fed by enough snow to allow it to flow out of the mountains and down to the sea. Glacier Bay is home to 7 tidewater glaciers. The glaciers are what make the animals call the park home and entice people to want to visit. However, with the changing climate comes the retraction of these glaciers. Of the more than 100,000 glaciers in Alaska, 95% are currently thinning or retreating, and more importantly, the rate of thinning is increasing. The glaciers in Glacier Bay are no exception to this trend. Recent research has estimated that there is about 11% less glacial ice in Glacier Bay than in the 1950s.

The park varies dramatically from season to season. In the spring, the first signs of green start to appear in the park. The animals emerge and are much more active after the long, cold winter. Bears emerge from hibernation, mountain goats move down to lower elevations for food, and the fish start to re-populate the waters. In the summer months, visitors can see the most iconic sights the park has to offer: humpback whales. The summer waters are full of wildlife such as humpback whales, killer whales, harbor seals and sea lions. In the fall, animals are preparing for the long winter and the birds are migrating. Lastly, in the winter months,  it is hard to find wildlife but the snow covered landscape makes it easy to spot their tracks and offers a unique view of the park. Visitors looking to get the most out of their experience should visit during the spring or summer months. 

Mammals - Glacier Bay National Park & Preserve (U.S. National Park Service) Glacier Bay National Park — The Greatest American Road Trip

Alaska Sea Kayaking - Glacier Bay East Arm | Alaska Mountain Guides & Climbing School, Inc.

In addition to the beautiful scenery that the park offers, there is an abundance of activities to do. The easiest and most popular way to explore the park is by kayak. Kayaking allows you to explore the park in your own unique way. Another fun way to explore the park is by hiking. Personally, my family and I chose this way of exploring all that Glacier Bay has to offer. There are several hiking trails ranging from easy strolls to all day climbs. Some of these hikes allow you to see the glaciers on both a large and small scale (far away and up close). If you want a more relaxed way of taking in the scenery, there are several boating tours that will take visitors around the glaciers and give them front row seats to the diverse marine life.

I really enjoyed this National Park. I did not get to visit for very long but it was an eye opening experience. I was able to see the glaciers up close and was amazed by their magnitude and impact they had on the landscape. I also was able to learn just how the climate was affecting these glaciers and how quickly they may be erased from our planet. Visiting these glaciers in person inspired me to be more environmentally conscious because I want everyone to be able to see the magnificence in person like I was able to do. 

2 thoughts on “Glacier Bay National Park

1. I would visit this national park just to see the humpback whales. Obviously, the views are stunning but I have never seen an animal of that size before.

2. I love the imagery that you include within this blog. The glaciers are so scenic I would love to see them up close if I ever get the chance. The otter is adorable too haha.