Passion

Grand Canyon National Park

Visit the Grand Canyon by zipline

The Grand Canyon is one of the most iconic and recognizable National Parks in the world. The park is located in Arizona and encompasses over 270 miles of the Colorado River. This landmark was created five to six million years ago due to erosion from the Colorado River. The canyon contains some of the oldest rock in the world. Visitors can see the history of the canyon by observing the different rock layers of the canyon walls.

The park was first declared a federal game reserve when Theodore Roosevelt visited in 1903. Later, the area became a National Monument. In 1919, the park obtained National Park status three years after President Wilson created the National Park Service. 

The canyon is an archaeological hot spot. Remnants of prehistoric humans dating back nearly 12,000 years have been discovered in the canyon. In total, the park has recorded over 4,300 archeological searches with an intensive survey of about 5% of the park completed. These searches have yielded discoveries of more than 11 different historical groups of people. One of the most unique artifacts discovered in the park are the split-twig figurines. Each one is made from a single twig often from a willow tree. The twig is then split down the middle and bent into animal shapes. 

Archaeological Resources - Grand Canyon National Park (U.S. National Park  Service)

Wildlife is another big component of the park. There are over 91 species of mammals that live in the park. One of the largest is the desert bighorn sheep. This is the largest native animal in the park. Two nonnative species, bison and elk, are also found in the park and are even larger than the bighorn sheep. Mountain lions are the park’s largest predators. Humans have no need to fear these animals because they do not see humans as prey. 

Big Horn Sheep | North american animals, Big horn sheep, Pet birds
Bighorn sheep
Arizona to Allow Select Volunteers Chance to Hunt Bison for Free in Grand  Canyon National Park
Bison

There are several things for tourists to do when visiting the park. The most popular activity is hiking in the canyon. Canyon trails are open for day-hiking. My family and I hiked about halfway down into the canyon. It was a very strenuous hike but allowed us to see the canyon up close. Be prepared for little relief from the sun when hiking as there is not a lot of foliage to protect you from the heat. 

The Trail of Time - Grand Canyon National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Another, easier, hike in the park is the Trail of Time. This is a relatively flat paved trail that is designed to show a geologic timeline of the park. Along the trail is a series of rocks and other exhibits that go back millions of years and show the geologic evolution of the park. I really enjoyed this trail in the park because I was able to learn a lot about the history behind what I was seeing and make connections to things I had learned about geology in school. 

On our last day in the park, my family and I went to watch the sunrise at the canyon. This is another popular attraction. Sunsets and sunrises over the canyon are a special sight. Although we had to wake up earlier than I would have liked and stand in the cold for a while, the view was definitely worth it. 

Grand canyon sunrise - (#143175) - High Quality and Resolution ... | Grand  canyon sunrise, Grand canyon national park, National park photos

Overall, the Grand Canyon lived up to my high expectations. It is a one of a kind place in the world. I am glad I had the opportunity to visit and see it’s beauty. 

https://www.nps.gov/grca/index.htm 

https://www.history.com/topics/landmarks/grand-canyon 

2 thoughts on “Grand Canyon National Park

1. The Grand Canyon remains one of the greatest places I have ever visited. I remember going years back when I was still a little younger, but I remember being amazed at the first look down the canyon. My family and I were also fortunate enough to go on a hike down the canyon where I distinctly remember hearing something about 5 kids per year falling into the canyon per year. Not sure if that was true but even as a child I was still able to appreciate the beauty of this park.

2. Finally, a park I recognize based on the title! Out of all the blogs you have covered, I want to go to Grand Canyon the most. I like how you included information about the discovery of different archeological objects as well as the pictures of animal life and amazing views.