• What is the major proposition (argument/thesis) of the speech? How is the artifact civic?

To communicate the importance of fitness trackers and how their rising popularity reflects commonplaces about the importance of health and fitness

• How is this artifact a response to a particular exigence? Does it take advantage of a kairotic moment?

This artifact takes advantage of a kariotic moment that developed in the early 2010s and has continued to the present. With the rise of the internet and information technology, people wanted to have more data on themselves and their own physical activity. This also followed the rise in popularity of fitness and health awareness that began in to the 80s and continues to this day,.

• What ideologies are at the artifact’s core? Are there any commonplaces used that help to reveal this ideology?

Ideology: Responsibility to be as healthy as possible

Commonplaces : fitness, health awareness, competition, fitness superiority

• How are extrinsic proofs (evidence related to context, history, documentation) or intrinsic proofs (1. evidence from the speaker’s character, 2.  relating to the audience’s understanding, 3. a construct within the speech itself) used in the speech? In other words, what evidence will you use to prove your thesis about the artifact? 

-history of athletic/biometric tech

-history of watches (brief)

-Fitness trends late 1900s-2000s

-Fitbit and Garmin and other companies.

Attention Getter:

How many of you are currently wearing a fitness tracker? An apple watch, a fitbit, a Garmin, a Huawei, an Honor Band

7 years

Define activity trackers, define civic, broad statement on how they are civic:

Elaboration/Purpose:

History of Watches

History of biometrics

(how we went from medical equipment and fitness trends in the 80s, to treadmills, treadmills that track, and then wearable technology)

*ordered chronologically

1990s-now rise of activity trackers

Obsession with information

Questions and Claims:

How do we think about them now?

How do we use this information?

Athletes vs injury

Encouraging vs limiting movement

How have they saturated our lives and commercials?

Show examples of Fitbit UK or France commercials

Representation “tracker for everyone”

Intense athletes vs everyday people vs specific cases

One thought on “Athletic Watches: Outline

1. I think your main idea (the importance of fitness trackers and their ideology of the importance of health and fitness) is well developed. I like how you state that the kairotic moment is from the 2010’s, when fitness trackers developed, until now – it represents an ongoing process of the tracker’s development. I think it’s interesting how you labeled the main ideology behind fitness trackers as the user’s responsibility for their own fitness – it helps the reader evaluate whether they need one or not. I really enjoy your evidence – I’m looking forward to learning the history of watches and biometrics as well as looking at the specific commercials that show the commonplaces behind the trackers. I know you said this looks rough, but this is very intriguing and I can’t wait to hear how you put your speech together!