Redwoods National Park and the Jedidiah Smith Redwoods State Park

California, United States of America

Have you ever wanted to visit the tallest trees in the world?  How about the OLDEST trees in THE WORLD? How about a National Park, a State Park, an International Biosphere reserve and a United Nations World Heritage Site all in one?!

Welcome to the Redwoods! The redwoods were protected by many groups including the Save the Redwoods League, but was only designated a National Park by Lyndon B. Johnson in 1968. Many of the old growth forests have been logged, but the Save the Redwoods and the National Park System works to buy surviving Redwood lands that are currently held by private owners. My dad had always dreamed of seeing the Redwoods and my family and I visited the redwoods this past August.

This park still needs our help! The climate crisis is changing the moisture levels of the West coast which is ruining the redwoods! Redwood trees used to grow all around the world, but over the past few million years, their habitat has been limited to the perfect combination of moisture, heat, and light that is now only found in the Northwestern coast of California.

Lodging: Prairie Creek

Hikes:

Lady Bird Johnson Grove:

• Distance: 1.5 Miles
  • What’s around the loop :
    • REDWOODS!
    • Thimble berries
    • Plaque for Lady Bird Johnson
    • Great place to see both old and new growth trees

Fern Canyon:

• Distance: (Depends on your preference, anywhere from 1-12 miles)
  • Wait what? 1-12 miles?
    • This hike goes through a canyon
    • Canyon walls are covered in ferns and other greenery!
    • Lots of fallen trees/branches to climb on
    • Next to a beach with Elk!
  • Notes:
    • You choose when to turn around!
    • You can hike 12 miles to another campsite
    • OR you could walk a mile and then turn around
    • WARNING: Vehicle must drive through deep water to access parking lot for this hike!
    • Bring water proof hiking boots or water shoes (Keens, Crocs, etc.)

I had so many great experiences in the Redwoods. The wildlife is abundant at Redwoods and we saw many elk herds. One of the herds even lives on the beach! Do not mess with the elk! Do not approach, touch, or call the elk! While we were there a child was almost attacked by a mother elk because the child’s parents allowed them to approach the elk. The signs are legit, so follow the rules for you own safety and the safety of our national parks!

We also visited the Chandelier tree. This tree has been cut out to let cars drive through it. Although this is an unsustainable monument, I had a great time watching people try to drive through it. One of them was my dad!

We had rented a Chevy Suburban to fit all of us and our camping gear. My dad is a car enthusiast and loves to push machines to their limits, even if they were rented from Enterprise! As he tried to drive through it, the entire car started beeping and all the screens in the front started flashing red to tell him to STOP PRESSING THE GAS PEDDAL! I eventually had to get out of the car because I thought he would actually try and drive through it. HE was disappointed that he could make it, but loved watching my mom, myself, and our fellow tourist freak out! Eventually he backed up and parked a visiting center where we had a great view of the next family, who also failed.

I hope that this post inspires you to protect the redwoods, the elk, and your rental car! Happy Travels!

One thought on “The Redwoods!

1. I love your enthusiasm about hiking! It really shines through in your writing. I like how you respond to the problem about the redwoods impacted by climate change. It broadens the reader’s awareness of the consequences of global warming. Your post draws the reader in very well by listing all of the awesome (and credible) attributes of the redwoods park. I don’t think you need to do anything else to capture your audience’s attention: you hook them in and keep them interested by sharing your own experiences about the attractions while giving them advice for making the trip to the redwoods. Great job!