San Francisco, California

Boudin’s Bakery, Ghirardelli

Here we are! Semester two of the hiking blog. In addition to discussing my favorite hikes and National Parks, I will be sharing by infinite wisdom on tourism this semester. Traveling is such an exciting activity, and one of the cool things about traveling to National Parks is that you get to experience everything around the parks including the cities and food!

Don’t worry this won’t turn into a food blog (hopefully).

As much as we plan our hikes, we love planning the foods we will eat, the family we will visit, and the places we will see! (Especially the food part!!!!) Throughout the year we constantly watch Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives with Guy Fieri. (Imagine me with sunglasses on the back of my head saying “WE’RE GOING TO FLAVOR TOWN.”

For this first blog of the semester, I’m going to DIVE IN to the great city of SAN FRAN. (I have been told that only people who are not from San Francisco call it that so I am an absolute tourist.) One of my favorite place to eat in San Francisco is Boudin which is an amazing sourdough place. When I was 7 we came here and I wrote my first essay in 1st grade about eating this bread. It’s that good. Sourdough bread uses a started which is a bunch of bacteria in order to make the bread rise. The starter here came during the gold rush from France and is still used.

It’s stored in a giant vault labeled “the mother dough.” I love getting clam chowder (I’m a New England girl sometimes) in a sourdough bread bowl. Watch out, the seagulls are vicious.

Another iconic San Francisco food place is Ghirardelli. The huge sign can easily be viewed from the beach and looks like it’s a part of the sunset in the evening. You can get awesome ice cream, brownies, and straight up chocolate for Ghirardelli. Save money by collecting as many free samples as possible!!! (trust me this chocolate is top quality, so much so that my face is covered in it!

Another great place is Fisherman’s Wharf. It’s a classic San Francisco place and includes a great view of Alcatraz! If you get the chance to go to this fascinating island, take it!

Stay tuned for next week’s blog about the mysteries and awesome parts of Alcatraz!