PAS7: Sike.

I am standing in the path for psychology degree right now because I wanted to be a clinical psychologist, but this is what most people feel about psychologists.

I find the brain is so interesting and more importantly, how the brain works and how it affects human behavior is interesting. I remember being so fascinated with serial killers. When I was younger, I didn’t have cable, so I didn’t watch the typical Disney and Nickelodeon channels that most kids watched; I had to watch 20/20 and Dateline for entertainment. I was around ten years old watching about “messed up” people and the crimes they committed. Of course I was scared, but it was so interesting! Like why did you kill 40 people? You good, boo? Why did you trap these people for measurement? How is your brain wired to find that fun? So when I got Netflix, Dexter was my life. Dexter is about a serial killer who kills serial killers. Yes, the irony.

And so, I was on track for a Psychology degree. I am taking a course called PSYCH 105 which teaches about misconceptions about psychology and careers a degree with psych can get you. The most shocking thing I learned is that the acceptance rate for a doctoral degree in Clinical Psychology is 6%. SIX PERCENT. WHAT? Is that real? Is that possible? You can do therapy with a Master’s Clinical Psych, but it has to be supervised. Boooooooooo. If I’m going on this path might as well go all the way up, right? But that 6% is very terrifying.

Aside from that, I don’t think I am mentally prepared to conduct therapy sessions. I think I’ll be waaay too attached to the client as in their problems will be my problems. It would cause me so much stress because I wouldn’t be able to bear it. Psychologists definitely hear some crazy deep stuff that impacted them in some way. I mean how can you hear traumatic personal events and not be scarred? Like “I saw someone I love die in front of me while I was only five.” What???? I’m guessing that is a part of the training PhD programs do.. I’m hoping.

Being a Clinical Psychologist is not meant for me. The amount of school psychological scarring I feel like I have to undertake is overwhelming. I look up to people who can actually do it. I can maybe go do research and contribute to the field..hmm. I wish I could teach psych at a university, but unfortunately, you need a PhD in the field of psych to do that too. Seems like everything requires a PhD. Bachelor degrees really don’t cut now a days.

1 Comment

1. Trystn Murphy

I totally get what you mean… I came in intending to be a psychiatrist. Sociopaths interest me… Abnormal brain & social development seemed so cool. Until it sunk it that these people were actually ill and involving myself in that could be dangerous for both me & the client. I also concluded that the first of my patients to kill themselves would be the end of my career. So now, I’m just focused on making it to med school.