The Joke is That I Love Female Antagonists

Amazon.com: Princess Mononoke : Billy Crudup, Billy Bob Thornton, Minnie  Driver, Claire Danes, Jada Pinkett Smith, Gillian Anderson, Yoji Matsuda,  Kaoru Kobayashi, Yuko Tanaka, Yuriko Ishida, Sumi Shimamoto, Akihiro Miwa,  Hayao Miyazaki,

So, my friend PJ had some time to hang out this weekend and we decided to watch a Studio Ghibli movie neither of us have seen. Princess Mononoke was a movie that I’ve always wanted to watch but never had the chance, the chance was solved by PJ having HBO Max. All the while my roommate was blasting through their Chem 112 homework that was due in less than two hours. Amazing atmosphere. 

So, this movie is beautiful like I expected. Studio Ghibli just does so well at making worlds and explaining them through art instead of just telling you through exposition. And surprise! Another story that has themes of anti-war and does it perfectly. (SPOILER ZONE) So the coolest thing while watching this movie was learning that Iron town was stealing rice from other farm towns nearby because was the biggest revelation, the whole reason why the samurai attacked later in the movie. Also, Lady Eboshi taking in people that are discarded by society and giving them purpose, kinda? That’s pretty cool. Power to the women? Pretty swag. Lady Eboshi destroying the forest and killing the defender of the forest? Not cool at all. I have very mixed feelings about her (She’s pretty and that might be the only reason I’ve given her the benefit of doubt).  

This was a great story about how humans are destroying nature and cannot live in peace with nature with our evolution and adaptation to new environments with industrialization. It’s pretty on the nose about this theme, but it is still done very well. The total disregard the humans have for the animal spirits in the movie and how put off Ashitaka is really makes you think about how you treat things you don’t really understand or interact with. It made me think about the things I take for granted. My only complaint is that I really don’t know what side Ashitaka is on at the end of the movie and if he’ll help the humans only if they protect the forest? Not sure, maybe I’ll just watch the movie again. 

PJ is going to be mad at me, however, I must bring up the one thing that took me out of the atmosphere of the movie. And that is the baby bird scene. No this is not about a cute little bird but like the metaphor.  I know it was for the survival of Ashitaka but dang it went on for a while. With that tangent over, this was a good watch and is added to my list of beautiful movies. 

8/10 

Link for picture

Published inUncategorized

Be First to Comment