Meryl Streep and ABBA in One Movie??

Mamma Mia! (2008) - IMDb

Because this is a written blog, you all reading this don’t get the grand opportunity to see my friends Kate and David dance to all the songs in this movie, it really is a shame. The fact that we were eating almost stale cookies from the bakery truly made the experience.  

I have never seen Mamma Mia before this, and Kate (a big ABBA fan) thought this was outrageous, so on a late Sunday night, we watched the movie with our friend David who also wished to rewatch the movie. And it was really great, the fact that the story was built by ABBA songs made the music so much more connected to the plot of the movie. The Chiquitita moment? Hilarious. The outfits? Showstopping. The beautiful island? Breathtaking.  

The plot might be a little clique, but I think that’s what makes the rest of the aspects of the movie shine. All the hints at which man is her dad, and mind you they all had small coincidences, along with her trying to find herself before her wedding were all pretty well done. The scene with Sky on the beach was so good and everything I would have wanted for the song. All the men with flippers marching down the dock and doing a little dance? That was so cute. The penguin waddle into the water made me chuckle, and I don’t chuckle. The comical choreographed dance scenes, with the large theatrical music moments, and picture-perfect landscapes. But most of all, I loved watching Kate and David belt all the lyrics and dancing with all the characters on screen. I might have missed some important moments watching them instead…  

(SPOILER ZONE FOR A CLOSE TO 15-YEAR-OLD MOVIE) Okay, so the fact that we never really found out who Sophie’s dad is kinda made me a little mad. Would it have messed with the plot if we found out? Yeah, but I’m just nosey. Also, the only one who deserves Donna is me, step back Sam you had a chance. And the only one who deserves Tanya is Kate, as she said this every single time she was on screen, every one, I counted. If you don’t like ABBA music after this masterpiece, you might have to watch it again. Gimmie Gimme Gimme has been stuck in my head all day and has been added to all of my daily playlists.

7/10 Good family movie 

Link for picture

Published inUncategorized

Be First to Comment