Tourism In Greece During Economic Decline

For many years now, Greek’s financial state has been on a sharp decline. All of the major news outlets have covered this unfortunate event, but as of recent, their state has only worsened. CNBC came out with a recent report giving an insider’s view of what life is like in Greece as a tourist.

A newly- wed couple is introduced to talk about their experience so far, and how it may be different from the average vacation. Right at this instance, CNBC is addressing their credibility and experience in this topic and to make it more appealing for their audience. The couple addresses how life is as a tourist, saying only good things about the weather and the view and the beauty of the island.

Tourists in Greece (2015)

Next, the host of the video starts out by saying “Congratulations on your marriage”; this also instantly makes a connection with the viewers. The connection they feel is an emotional one, and also a personal one. This statement gives the social status of the couple as a young, normal couple, most likely on their honeymoon. This aspect, again, gives the audience an emotional and personal connection as they can relate to the couple in the interview. A good number of listeners to this program were most likely average, married adults trying to live a life the best they can, just like the couple in the interview

The interview goes into detail about the ability for the couple to pay mostly in cash due to the economic downfall. Even further, this interview gives an overall positive outlook on the tourist perspective of Greece, especially when the woman says “based on what I’m seeing in front of me, it’s hard to imagine what is going on in Athens right now”.

Tourism accounts for about twenty percent of the national GDP of Greece, it is hard to imagine the number of tourists will increase despite this positive review.

4 thoughts on “Tourism In Greece During Economic Decline

1. gvl5144

This was a great article considering it not only talked about Greece’s economic problems, but also incorporated how it affects tourists. I also think this was very well written and gets the point across nicely.

2. dlp5382

I also did a post about Greece but I really like the angle you took on the matter. It was a very interesting perspective! I also like the design, the blog post actually looks like a news article.

3. eap5383

I like how you picked an article on Greece’s tourism as a result of their economic situation rather than just picking an article on their economic state.

4. cpe5047

I think this was a good take on the economic problems experienced in Greece. I think you did a good job of explaining the emotional aspects of the rhetoric used in this article