February 24

When Harry Met Sally

When Harry Met Sally… – The BrattleI have only seen this movie once or twice, but When Harry Met Sally sticks in my mind as a memorable and classic romantic comedy. This 1989 movie is currently available for viewing on HBOMax.

Summary

In 1977, University of Chicago graduates Harry Burns (Billy Crystal) and Sally Albright (Meg Ryan) share a car on their way to New York. They do not really hit it off, especially after Harry makes several comments that a man and woman can never be just friends, because physical desires will always get in the way. The two arrive and go their separate ways. The film, then, bumps through time over the next 10 years to follow both of their searches for love, with the two coincidentally meeting on occasion. Eventually, a close friendship blooms between them. Despite being the perfect match, Harry and Sally stubbornly insist that they’re relationship is purely platonic. But what will happen when they are confronted with the question, “Can a man and woman be friends, without sex getting in the way?”

Some Spice in A Deli

Although very wack, probably the most iconic scene from this movie has to be Sally’s loud demonstration of a woman faking a climax right in the middle of a packed deli. Apparently, Meg Ryan came up with the idea for the scene herself, as she thought it would fit her character. But the cherry on top for this scene was a fellow customer (played by Rob Reiner’s mother, Estelle) delivering the famous line “I’ll have what she’s having!” This scene made waves in the way we as a society talk about sex.

When Harry Met Sally' Turns 25: 7 Ways The Plot Would Be Different In 2014 - ABC News

Four-Way Call

One of my personal favorite scenes is the four way call between Harry, Sally, and their two best friends (who are a couple). The choreography of this scene is so satisfying and fun, and it happens right after a pivotal plot point in the movie. Apparently, the actors rehearsed this scene tirelessly and had to do dozens of takes to get it just right. You can watch the scene here. Be warned, though! It contains spoilers.

My Thoughts

This movie is very cute and well done. I love the way that it is written and how the story takes place over such a long period of the main characters’ lives. Although it is a bit predictable, most other romantic comedies are as well. I think it is a token of the genre. One thing I will point out, however, is that I am not a big fan of the film pushing the concept that men and women can only have sexual and romantic relationships. I think this is outdated, and it definitely bugged me a little bit while I was watching the film. Overall though, the way this movie was filmed makes it really enjoyable. The dialogue is nicely balanced between witty, funny, and charming. I would recommend giving this a watch if you like the friends to lovers trope and a good bit of humor.

February 10

27 Dresses

27 Dresses (2008) - Photo Gallery - IMDbThere is no way that I could write this blog without including this movie. When I think of rom coms, this is definitely a film that comes to mind. I had seen bits and pieces of it as a child, but I did not get the chance to watch it all the way through until this year. What film might this be? None other than 27 Dresses.

Summary

As a woman who puts everyone else’s needs before her own, Jane (Katherine Heigl) is the go-to-gal when it comes to wedding planning. After serving as a bridesmaid 27 times for her friends, Jane finally starts to question her resolve when her sister Tess (Malin Akerman) gets engaged to the man she is secretly in love with: her boss George (Edward Burns). Her life is shaken up even more when wedding reporter Kevin (James Marsden) enters the picture.

A Fashion Show To Remember

One of the few scenes that I saw as a kid and stuck with me through the years was Jane’s at-home fashion show of every bridesmaid gown she had acquired over the years. These dresses are one of the backbones of the movie as the inspiration for its title.

Ranking the 27 dresses of '27 Dresses' | EW.comRanking the 27 dresses of '27 Dresses' | EW.comRanking the 27 dresses of '27 Dresses' | EW.com

Jane has not thrown out a single dress (which I must admit is a little strange for someone who lives in a New York apartment). With so many of them, she had to dedicate an entire wardrobe to their storage. When Kevin visits Jane’s apartment, he notices the overflowing amount of gowns and requests a viewing of every single one. I love this part of the movie so much because you get to see Jane open up as a person and let loose while trying on the dresses. What makes it even more entertaining is that every one of the dresses is so different. There is everything from cow-girl chic to a goth look.

Karaoke And Some Laughs

Another absolutely iconic scene from this film has to be when Kevin and Jane get stranded in at a dive bar in the middle of nowhere during a rainstorm. As cliche as the whole “stranded because of a storm” scene is, what I love about this one is the karaoke. The two break into a rendition of “Bennie and the Jets”. Both a little tipsy, they let loose and end up dancing on the bar counter, feeling themselves and having a good time. This is one of those cases where the perfect song is paired with the perfect rom-com, and it is always a delight to watch.

Celebrating a Decade of 27 Dresses and “Bennie and the Jets”

My Thoughts

I would not say by any means that 27 Dresses is the best romantic comedy ever made. It is definitely cliche and predictable, but for me, it is still enjoyable to watch. I will say that the iconic scenes described previously are some of the only parts that give the film a sense of uniqueness. However, I would still watch 27 Dresses again. After all, I did say this blog would not be complete without a review of it!

27 Dresses - 27 Dresses Image (5423324) - Fanpop - Page 9