Mushrooms are Anti-Aging

A team of researchers at our very own Penn State University recently found out that mushrooms are the “highest known single source” of antioxidants associated with anti-aging properties. Over 13 species of edible mushrooms were tested and they all tested positively for these antioxidants, some having more than others. The species of mushroom with the highest levels of these antioxidants is the wild porcini mushroom. The good thing about mushrooms in general is that when you cook them, the antioxidants do not go away because they are resistant to heat.

Aside from anti-aging, these antioxidant also help us fight oxidative stress which is result from our food turning into fuel for energy. When this happens, oxygen atoms search around our body for electrons to pair with causing damage to our cells. A correlation found is that countries with higher levels of these antioxidants in their diets such as France and Italy, also have a lower level of neurodegenerative diseases.

1 comment on “Mushrooms are Anti-AgingAdd yours →

1. It is always interesting to hear news that comes from our very own community. I wish I liked mushrooms because they are a useful tool for anti-aging without medicines or creams. Aside from anti-aging it is also interesting to find out the other benefits that mushrooms provide, I would have never guessed.