In recent months tragic events as well as campus diversity dialogues have highlighted that our work environment is not always welcoming for people from racially and ethnically diverse backgrounds. Many members of our community have stepped forward to say “I want to do something!”
Here is a valuable opportunity!
The Doctors Kienle Center for Humanistic Medicine is hosting a “Ripple Effect Competition” to support actions, programs or projects that could meaningfully improve the experience of our racially and ethnically diverse coworkers, patients and/or learners. We encourage projects that will have ripple effects through multiple areas of the organization.
We are seeking applications from teams of two or more individuals for proposals up to $10,000 to start the ‘ripple effect’. Teams must be diverse, and teams that include racially or ethnically diverse members will be given priority. Penn State Health and College of Medicine (?) employees of every level and from every area of our institution are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, write a one-page description of your idea and include:
- The name, role, and department of all team members, and a team leader with contact information
- A description of your proposed plan, including who the program will affect and how
- How your program/project will have a ripple effect
- How you will evaluate the success of your program/project
- A budget – description of how you plan to spend the money
The top ten teams will be invited to an Innovators’ Conference to share their ideas. By the end of the conference, we will announce and award up to three winning “Ripple Effect” proposals.
Our panel will rate the submissions based on:
- Is your idea clear?
- Is your team diverse, and how?
- Is your idea unique or creative?
- Will it make a difference?
- Can it be done?
- Is your budget reasonable?
If you would like to talk over your idea before you submit it, please email Claire de Boer: firstname.lastname@example.org
Email your project via a one page PDF, titled with the team leader’s last name, to Tasha Cochran: email@example.com
In your subject line, please write: Kienle Ripple Effect
Entries due by 5:00 p.m. on November 1, 2020
Institutional policies related to funding: Funds cannot be used for employee salary support and no indirect costs will be provided.