The fitness test is comprehensive in that it evaluates all essential components of physical fitness. The physical testing requires about 45 minutes to complete. Most of the exercises are submaximal and non-strenuous; however, you will likely break a sweat throughout. Following the test you will receive a summary sheet explaining your results compared with national data and an in-person explanation with an opportunity to ask questions with our health assessment staff.
The test involves the following items and procedures:
- Questionnaires to determine medical and health history, exercise readiness, and informed consent.
- Resting heart rate, blood pressure, weight and height.
- Body fat percent as estimated bioelectrical impedance.
- Trunk flexibility as measured with a sit-and-reach test.
- Muscular endurance as measured with the one-minute sit-up and the YMCA Bench Press protocol.
- Muscular strength assessed via hand grip dynamometry and 1-RM estimation via YMCA Bench Press protocol.
- Aerobic fitness as measured using a progressive, submaximal cycle ergometer test.
All tests are based on guidelines set forth by the American College of Sports Medicine.
You are not required to do any test you do not feel comfortable with.
If you are performing fitness assessments as a course requirement, any assignment(s) you are responsible for with regard to your class are between you and your instructor and not the responsibility of the Center for Fitness and Wellness.
Before your test, please adhere to the following guidelines to ensure your safety and the accuracy of your results. Failure to do so will result in your appointment being rescheduled.
- You must eat within 6 hours prior to your assessment, though a heavy meal is not recommended within 2 hours prior to the test.
- Be well hydrated — feel free to bring water and a towel.
- Dress for exercise, including athletic pants/shorts, comfortable shirt, and gym shoes. No one will be tested wearing jeans or other non-athletic attire.
- For accurate results, do not exercise 24 hours prior to the test.
- Be sure to inform the staff if you have any medical or physical condition which may interfere with your ability to exercise (such as asthma, high blood pressure, diabetes, or muscle/joint injury).
- Avoid consuming alcohol within 24 hours of your evaluation.
- Avoid tobacco products 2 hours prior to testing.
- Arrive 5-10 minutes early, so you can complete the paperwork before your scheduled appointment time.
- You must create a profile online and complete the health risk assessment prior to coming in for your assessment.
If you are coming in for a Fitness Assessment not associated with an academic course, a fee of $13.10 will be charged. The Center for Fitness and Wellness accepts credit/debit card. We do not accept Lion Cash, check, money order, or cash.