Halloween!

How many times a year do you get to dress up as whatever or whoever you want, without anyone being slightly confused as to why? The answer is, once. This one day a year, also known as Halloween, is something that has been part of most people’s lives from a young age. Whether it was trick or treating with your siblings and friends, trading candy at school, or handing out candy with your parents, most people have experienced some aspect of Halloween. This exciting holiday is only about two weeks away! 

Young Kids Trick or Treating

Halloween is one of the few holidays that is not related with any religion, society, or social structure. Anyone can throw on a costume, whether it is bought from a store or hand made, and dress up. You can be almost anything, and it does not matter who you are, as everyone is dressed up. There is minimal judgement during Halloween, as everyone likes to see what each other are dressed as. Although there comes a certain age where trick-or-treating might not be the right activity anymore, there are so many other ways to enjoy the Halloween spirit such as haunted houses, decorations, and more. Whether you are rich or poor, you are able to dress up in some way possible and enjoy Halloween for what you have come to know it as.  

This year, as college freshmen, Halloween looks a bit different. We are likely spending it with different people than we did the past few years, and as most other things, in a different place. Halloween at Penn State is something that many look forward to. Personally, I know Halloween is not one of my favorite holidays since I was younger, probably because when I was trick or treating not every piece of candy I got was a Hershey bar, but I have realized that I can come to enjoy parts of it such as finding fun costumes and being able to spend time with friends.   

During the Halloween season, there are so many events to participate in at Penn State. Whether it is the Haunted Valley event at Hintz Family Garden or the Arboretum’s Pumpkin Festival, there is something for everyone. There is also so many costumes for people to choose from to dress up as, whether it is Dora, Spider Man, angels and devils, and more.  

Arboretum at Halloween

Halloween is a time of year filled with costumes, spider webs, haunted houses, and more. Whether it is your favorite or least favorite holiday, there is something for everyone to enjoy, or try to enjoy. As Penn State students have said, “Zarnick, aside from her fears of spooky costumes, said she was thrilled to experience “Halloweekend” for her first time as a student.” (Daily Collegian) It is crazy to think that this is now not others doing this, but ourselves. Soon enough, it will be Halloween weekend at Penn State. After Halloween, there are so many more fun holidays to look forward to in the coming months, such as Thanksgiving or Christmas.  

https://www.collegian.psu.edu/culture_lifestyle/annual-haunted-valley-event-begins-halloween-festivities-at-penn-state/article_9a9e662e-4742-11ed-a92b-2ba31a325245.html 

https://www.collegian.psu.edu/culture_lifestyle/penn-state-students-showcase-halloween-spirit-with-this-year-s-costume-trends/article_409fb318-3a9f-11ec-a68d-1f6a7c52dd18.html 

1 Comment on Halloween!

1. Ana Patricia Lebrón
    December 8, 2022 at 6:46 pm (2 years ago)

I loved this blog post; it made me look back at my memories for Halloween here at Penn state. It was so much fun. As Latinos we had a whole party apart from the actual halloweekend which was even funner since we had two weekends filled of dress up and having fun. I would have loved to see everyone’s costumes since I looked at many people to see what they were wearing and how good of an outfit it was. Also, the pictures you put in the post made the post feel warming which I really liked. Excited to keep on reading your posts.

Reply