Appreciating Change

5 Reasons People Resist Change and What We Can Do About It | Inc.com

In the beginning of my blog, I discussed change and transitions, specifically, to college. Change and transitions were not just discussed, but it was acknowledged how scary they can be. Change can be good or bad, and change is something that is not talked about enough.  Being 12 weeks into the semester, I can now say that change isn’t all that bad, as scary as it once seemed.  

Change is defined by Merriam Webster as “the act or instance of making or becoming different.” Throughout the past few months, my perspective on change has shifted. A few months ago, I would have said that change is terrifying, and that it is something I would not want to do often. However, now, I have learned that although change is scary, good things will come out of it.  

There are so many changes that have occurred in the past few months. A year ago, I remember experiencing the endings of high school sports seasons, but now I see others experiencing the same. 6 months ago, almost everyone knew where they would attend college, and now we attend college. In the next six months, we will be finishing up our first year of college, and a few months from that, most of us will be returning to Penn State, likely in an off-campus apartment, much different from this year’s living situation. As I signed my lease a few weeks ago, I realized how weird it felt that things were moving this fast and changing so quickly. It truly does feel like I just graduated high school a month ago.  

With all of these changes doesn’t only come fear, but good. I have learned throughout this time that change is something we can learn to appreciate and look forward to. Even though I know life will be different at this time next year, it will be for the good. Change is something that can be scary, but that many, if not everyone, has experienced before.  

Within the span of these blogs, I have discussed things such as firsts, failure, transitions, home, seasons, holidays, and more. While all of these things are different topics, most of them involve changing, whether it is individually, socially, or even a place. Over the past few months, I have come to realize that freshman year itself is simply filled with lots of changes.  

Many of you may be reflecting on how you feel about change, and whether it is feelings of nervousness, excitement, or fear, I encourage you to appreciate the changes around you. In previous posts, I talked about the seasons changing, and how we always find a way to appreciate the seasons changing, and admire the beauty of it, for example, fall leaves or snow. Taylor Swift once sang a song called “Everything Has Changed,” and in this song, she simply sings about the beauty of changes.  

Overall, change is something that affects everyone, and over time, I have finally come to realize that change is good. Change is not something to be afraid of nor to avoid, but to approach with excitement and gratitude. As my blog comes to an end, I can appreciate the changes I have made in not only my writing, but my posts in general, the subject matter, and the material.  

Everything You Change Changes Everything | Ashoka | Everyone a Changemaker

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/change 

“Everything Has Changed” Taylor Swift (Apple Music)  

3 Comments on Appreciating Change

1. jbr5990
    November 11, 2022 at 2:30 pm (2 years ago)

Change is scary at first, that is certain. However, it is like you pointed out, as we go through it and look back, it wasn’t as scary as we made it out to be. Change can be good and bad, but the most important thing is to make a decision. Just think that in five years, you’ll likely not remember all this worry about change. Time eats away at memories, distorts them. Sometimes we only remember the good…sometimes only the bad.

Reply
  2. Gianna Martinelli
    November 11, 2022 at 3:49 pm (2 years ago)

I really like your blog’s topic, and I wish I had read it earlier! I think this subject matter is so relatable to all of us, and it is important to talk about how big of a transition it is moving from highschool to college. I think there are always going to be ups and downs, but I am so glad to say I feel like at this point, I have adjusted to this new lifestyle pretty well. I am really enjoying my life here at Penn State, but as you mentioned, it is crazy to think about how different my life was one year ago, and how different it will be one year from now. I also agree that I have learned to accept change a lot more easily after making the transition to college, and I hope that pattern continues in my life.

Reply
  3. kep5643
    November 14, 2022 at 11:15 pm (2 years ago)

I love your blogs! I think not enough people talk about change and how much it can affect people. Personally, I really struggle with change. I’m not much of a go with the flow person and change can be stressful. I loved this blog it helped a lot!

Reply