Unwind and Relax: No Media Day

Technology is a beneficial tool for many purposes, but is it really driving us apart from physical, human interaction with the people around us? Separating myself from my phone, laptop, and tablet was probably the best decision I have ever made. I was given the opportunity to go outside and admire nature and the environment around us. I was able to meet up with friends and show two of my friends who were visiting the campus everything Penn State has to offer. Although it was tempting to want to use my phone because my friends were using theirs, I resisted the temptation and was able to enjoy my day. I constantly find myself relying on my cell phone the most, but I chose a nice day to relax and enjoy all that life has to offer.

Growing up, I spent most of my time outside playing with neighborhood kids in my cul-de-sac. We would ride around the neighborhood on scooters, play massive games of hide and seek, and even play street basketball. I enjoyed my childhood because I was very active and loved the outdoors. But as I grew up, I noticed myself spending more time inside playing games on my computer and using gaming stations, like PlayStation. Now that I’m older, I have learned how to sometimes distance myself from these distractions, but since I started college I find myself tending to relate back to my old habits. Now, I watch Netflix on my laptop every night, and constantly check Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Snapchat to see what all of my friends form back home are doing with their lives. Although I appreciate all that technology has to offer, I feel it can be sometimes misused and abused. It can create a barrier between a normal human being and the outside world.

On my “no media” day, I enjoyed some time outdoors exploring the campus with two friends who came to visit me. I spent some time outdoors exploring the campus with two friends who came to visit me. We enjoyed some time by the pool which was followed by a trip to Berkey Creamery. As we tanned in the sun, I was captivated by the environment around us. It was filled with laughter from people both young and old. I also really began to notice how much wildlife actually roamed the campus. From squirrels to rabbits, Penn State has a variety of small creatures nesting in its trees calling this place home.

I have tried this experiment twice before, the duration being a weekend. I went on a religious retreat called Kairos in which I experienced who I am and what I want to get out of life. Experiencing this retreat would not have been as effective if I had easily accessible technology readily available. Although technology has good uses, such as for educational purposes, it can draw us away from social interaction and keep us locked up in our rooms. Thankfully, we had planned out our retreat to captivate our attention for the weekend permanently, leaving technology in the dust. This retreat was the first time I learned that there is more to live than just the internet and social media. Re-experiencing what that journey taught me just for one day made me feel alive and remember all that I learned on that trip. For 24 hours, I was fully functioning in this world and focus on the tasks I needed to complete for the day: reminiscing with old friends, reading books, going to the pool, and exploring my new home.

Technology, although it has many advancements, can take away the social interaction we have with people around us. From simple things like walking down the street or waiting in line, I feel myself constantly glancing at my phone waiting for a notification, whether it be a text or an alert from Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, or Snapchat. By taking a time out from technology, I was able to get a lot of needed work done as well as focus on the outside world around me. I was still able to tackle many tasks and even had a lot of time to relax by the pool with some friends-old and new. Experiencing days like this will definitely be something that I continue to do in the future, especially when I have important assignments that need to be done and completed on a strict deadline.

no-media-day

3 thoughts on “Unwind and Relax: No Media Day

1. I also did a no media day and found that it was beneficial. Would you suggest this to one of your friends who is super plugged into social media?

2. Technology definitely has presented many advancements, especially in education, but also has downfalls due to social media and how easy it is to access technology on a daily basis.

3. It’s really interesting to see the effect that unplugging has on a generation that is so glued to screens. Do you think that technology has had more of a good or bad effect on society?