Real-Time Chat ft. Professor Nichols

I didn’t really know what to expect from my first real-time chat with my professor. Set in my mind are the stereotypes from grade school: my teacher centers her life around teaching, she only focuses on teaching topics, and so on. What I took away from this chat was much more. Professor Nichols is a teacher who may center her life around her passion, but she also does much more with her life. She raised a daughter, studies information to help her father, and, on top of this work load, made time to raise a daughter and make sure she receives a good education. She enjoys starting new projects that help others and even finds time for the enjoyment of everyday things.

This conversation was a lot calmer and relaxed than I expected. My expectations were met, but I did not think this was going to be as informal. I liked the more informality of the discussion because I really got to know who my professor is outside of the classroom. I learned a lot about her life and the previous jobs she possessed across the nation. Although I find myself remain quiet at times, I felt comfortable enough to start conversation, ask questions, and comment about topics we discussed.

Before going into this chat, I never thought about what division of Public Relations I wanted to focus on. Now, I am exploring the plethora of options that are at my fingertips. From entertainment to corporate, I have found many options that fit my interests and desires. Although I am uncertain as to which one I will choose, I now have a better understanding between all of the topics and what they entail.

I’m glad real-time chats are part of the First Year Experience because they help you connect to your professor. Without this real-time chat, I would have been left in the dark about the qualities my professor possesses. Even if they are for just short periods of time, these talks are definitely worth being a part of the freshmen requirements.

k14328318