PAS 5: The Bubble Car (Isetta)

This is a car that I’ve been wanting to cover for quite some time. Although it was never all that popular in the United States because of its diminutive size, tiny engine and wacky appearance, its frequent references in pop culture have cemented it in the American consciousness. The car I’m talking about is the BMW Isetta. The Isetta was dreamed up in the mid 1950s by an Italian refrigerator manufacturer. Yes, you read that right, the Isetta was designed by a man who had previously been making refrigerators and it kind of shows. The front (and only) door handle of the Isetta is taken straight off of a refrigerator. Its design is actually fairly reminiscent of a 50s refrigerator; bubbly, shiny and brightly colored.

From a mechanical standpoint the Isetta was nothing to write home about. The later BMW versions had a 300cc gas engine cranking out a whopping 13 horses. That was enough to accelerate you to the rated top speed of 53 mph in a few business days. What the Isetta did have however was a very unique driveline. It utilized a combination driveshaft and chain drive which did a lot to mask engine noise and vibration. With a buzzy single cylinder, that went a long way in making the Isetta feel more like a car. Also, contrary to popular belief, the Isetta has 4 wheels, the rear wheels being tiny and very close together to aid with stability in turns. 

The interior of the Isetta is spartan to say the least. Since you enter through the front of the vehicle the steering wheel and instrument cluster swivel out of the way to afford you easy entry. The only gauge was the speedometer, which in this case is quite irrelevant since you’ll never break the speed limit. Seating was in the form of a nicely padded bench with room for 2 adults (as long as they’re not too tall). 

The Isetta is a relic of a time when people were more concerned with economy than speed and safety. Since the engine of the Isetta was so tiny it could be driven by a person holding only a motorcycle license making it attractive transport for the rural poor. It was also the most fuel efficient mass production car for a long time, with a fuel economy of close to 100 mpg. You must admit, the Isetta’s funky appearance grows on you and I’d love to drive one. Unfortunately they’re very rare stateside, but if I manage to get my hands on one I’ll update this review with a test drive.

3 thoughts on “PAS 5: The Bubble Car (Isetta)

1. This blog is very interesting. This is the first time I heard a refrigerator manufacturer can build a car made up of refrigerator door. You mentioned some unique features of the car including its driveline and its small size. Even though it’s small, but it’s very fuel efficient during that time. It’s more accessible and affordable to people. I like your conclusion where you described this car as a representation of a time that “people were more concerned with economy than speed and safety”.

2. I honestly never heard about the Isetta car, but now that I read about it, I would love to see it in person and drive in it. It’s really interesting how the door is from a refrigerator. I wonder how the guy who invented this thought of such an idea. It also kind of reminds me of the move “Wallace and Gromit” where they build the spaceship to go to the moon. There really is no correlation there, but just the whole idea of a mini spaceship and a mini car is very attractive. I think at least seeing one of these cars would be something to put on a bucket list.

3. HI!
    This was really interesting to read since I have never heard or seen a car like this. It does make a lot of since that a refrigerator manufacturer would build a car like this. I mean this mini car reminds me of those little Italian cars. I have personally never been in one or seen someone I know own them ,but they seem to be a car that really stands out. I like how it is attainable for anyone despite their economic background. I don’t think I would be the best driver in a car like this ,but if you were get it let me know how it feels to drive it! Good Job!