Idea: Better Management of Resources and Implementation of Policy to Help Fight Poverty in Africa
- Thesis: This will be our statement of what we want to be changed and how to better deal with poverty. Our formal thesis will be constructed after all of our research about this topic is complete and we are able to combine our thoughts on what action we want to be taken into one meaningful sentence that will guide our issue brief.
- Target: All people, from individuals to UN representatives who have the desire for any reason to contribute to the building of Africa’s poor poorest countries and helping their people.
- Importance: In the past fifty years, a standard has been set by the civilized population of the world as to what the lowest condition that a human being should have to endure. This is pretty much the poverty level but it’s a little more blurry than that because the efforts that have been enacted in Africa have been to help people living much below the standard of poverty in the United States and other first world nations. So, over the past fifty years, many initiatives by both civilians and humanitarian organizations have worked to give raw materials (clothes, shoes, non-perishable food) to “poor” communities around the continent. The immediate effect of this humanitarian aid was helpful, but has only allowed poverty to become THE standard for life, being continuously handed what was necessary to live while not advancing any farther to build the infrastructure and overall stability of these communities. The main idea is that if the truth about the result of these humanitarian efforts is revealed, then proper contributions can be given to communities in need.
Partners: Sophia and Patrick
What we’re doing with the policy – which direction the assignment is going:
- Our bias is towards the argument of combatting poverty in hopes of eliminating it in countries like Africa.
- So far, the policy that we would like to support to help change the direction of poverty increase in Africa includes the redirection of funds by both individuals and humanitarian aid groups around the world toward projects that would encourage the development of infrastructure and political structure to support impoverished communities in the long run.
What medium are we doing for advocacy part:
- We will most likely be doing a formal presentation to the class, along with a powerpoint/prezi type display with pictures, statistics, etc. Although, this may change slightly once we become more familiar on the topic and decide what medium best represents the way in which we want to display this topic.