Outline for Speech

• Introduction
    • As my attention grabber, I have two ideas, though I am unsure exactly which I will do. The first is to ask the audience a question to immediately engage them, but something other than “who has an iPhone” because, for one reason, this question is very predictable with this artifact, and two, I can almost guarantee the entire class has a smartphone, if not an iphone. My other idea is to describe what the iPhone looks like (example: small handheld device, white, silver or black, ability to do almost everything – music, pictures, text, etc.) Both of these ideas will immediately get the audience thinking about the iPhone and will not leave them questioning what my artifact really is.
  • Body
    • The information following my introduction will be when I begin to rhetorically analyze my civic artifact. Because I know my audience is all very familiar with my artifact, I can give a little information regarding the history of it, but don’t need to talk about what it actually is. This will build my ethos as the audience will see I understand the background as to where the iPhone came from. When talking about the brief history, I can connect this to how the phone has developed through many years (starting from a simple phone for calling to the smartphone). I will discuss how the iPhone can be seen as a metaphor/symbol for the development of society (seen through its developments with each new iPhone models).
    • In my speech I want people to begin to question whether or not our obsession with technology (specifically the iPhone) has gotten out of hand. I will provide evidence of how much people use iPhones while asking questions about how the iPhone has affected has (in good ways and bad) which will lead into the civicness of the iPhone.
  • Conclusion
    • I will conclude by formally closing my speech to let the audience know I have finished talking and to thank my audience for listening.

One thought on “Outline for Speech”

1. I think those are both good ideas for your hook. One suggestion I would have is that if you describe what the iPhone is, describe it exactly as what it physically is, but then explain that it means so much more to us. For example, the iPhone is literally a piece of metal and glass (along with a lot more complicated technology that is over my head), but it is a piece of metal that some of us revolve our entire lives around. For the body of the speech, I think you do a good job of analyzing the iPhone rhetorically, but I think you should make sure to put an emphasis on what the overall meaning is. How is this artifact functioning civically in a way that is not immediately obvious to your audience? Make sure to conclude your speech by stating this larger message in some way to leave an impact on your audience. Also, be sure to answer the question of what exactly it is about the iPhone that makes it function civically. Overall, your speech seems well organized and thought out. I hope that my insight has helped and I’m excited to hear your finalized speech.