THON

THON, Penn State’s Dance Marathon, is the largest student run philanthropy in the world! So, THON is not only a novelty at Penn State, but it is also a novelty of the world.  Thousands of students raise money all throughout the year to help fight pediatric cancer. Since 1977, THON has raised more that $89 million for the Four Diamonds Fund at Penn State Hershey Children’s Hospital. The mission of the Four Diamonds Fund is to conquer childhood cancer by assisting children treated at Penn State Hershey Children’s Hospital, and their families, through superior care, comprehensive support, and innovative research.

THON was first organized in 1973 by a group of students looking to give back to the community. 78 dancers participated in the  first Dance Marathon which  was held in Penn State’s HUB Ballroom lasting 30 hours. More than $2,000 was raised for the Butler County Association for Retarded Children. The Four Diamonds Fund became the beneficiary of the Dance Marathon in 1977, marking the beginning of the long lasting partnership. With each progressing year, THON grew in participation and popularity. In 1992, the one million dollar marker was broken with a total of $1,141,145.38. Last year, the students broke their record, raising a grand total of $10,686,924.83.

Today, THON engages more that 15,000 students each year. The best part of THON is the fact that each and every student has the opportunity to get involved. Captains work hard throughout the THON season to ensure the events and programs are the best they can possibly be. Captains are expected to take an active leadership role in planning and executing the events. The application process, which takes place in April and August, is very competitive so previous THON experience is recommended. Committee members assist the Captains in running THON throughout the year. As a Committee Member, you have to be prepared for the time commitment associated with planning and attending THON events. Committee members are crucial to the success of THON and basically make sure everything runs smoothly. There are eleven committees: Communications, Donor and Alumni Relations, Entertainment, Finance, Hospitality, Merchandise, Morale, Opperations, Public Relations, Rules and Regulations, and Special Events. The application process takes place in early September. Each committee is necessary and responsible for a specific aspect of THON. You can learn more about each specific committee by visiting www.thon.org. Organizations also take an active role in THON by raising money to support the kids and their families. Over 350 student organizations participate in THON each year. A complete list of all the these organizations is available on www.thon.org.  THON truly unifies the student population. With one common mission, each student has the chance to get involved and contribute in a unique way. It is truly amazing the opportunity we have to be a part of something so huge and world-changing.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to THON

1. Pingback: 7 College Organizations Raising Cancer Awareness | Surviving College

2. Megan Flaherty says:

Kelly,
    Being just a freshman, I was not entirely sure what THON was. I just knew it was a large dance event that raised a lot of money for cancer. However your blog was incredibly insightful and I hold even more respect for the event now that I know more background information in how it all began. I like how you’re choosing really excellent things about Penn State to talk about in your blogs and I feel like I am being better informed about our great school. Keep up the great work!

3. amg5834 says:

Kelly,

I’m really happy that you wrote about THON! A lot of first year students are not aware of the organization, so you cast it in a good light with a lot of valuable information for students who want to get involved. When I was a freshman, I did not take part in THON at all. The main issue was that I never became acquainted with it. This year, I am part of a THON group through the Army ROTC program and I’m really pumped to be part of something so remarkable. I hope you’re planning on getting involved too!