Why CARS Is the Best Pixar Film

Image result for cars 2006 poster

For this, my first movie review, I have selected a film that possesses personal significance. This blog is entitled Tricolored Reviews, and the 2006 Pixar hit Cars, directed by John Lasseter, was the first film I ever saw in the United States after moving to Maryland from my native country, France. At that time, as a mere six-year-old child, I did not fully grasp or comprehend – indeed, given my limited mastery of English – the cinematic masterpiece that I was enjoying.

Among Pixar’s various successes, I often hear my friends and classmates cite Toy Story, Monsters, Inc., The Incredibles, Ratatouille, Finding Nemo, Up, or others as their favorite. However, seldom do I hear the opinion with which I wholeheartedly agree: that Cars is at once the most underrated and the very best Pixar film.

The film’s simple title is misleading: though this adventure includes numerous automobiles, its theme centers around much more than just vehicles. Indeed, Cars is an allegory on both life and the American Dream. The movie depicts small towns, large canyons, busy interstates such as Route 66, evolving landscapes, and the humble, grounded values that are at our nation’s core. Subsequently, Cars allows itself to be omni-applicable, for through optimism, it grants itself an innate relatability with American viewers of all ages.

Cars is the perfect Pixar movie because it is inherently universal; in other words, it synthesizes action-packed and thoroughly entertaining race sequences – i.e., material that will instantly sell and is akin to a ready-made movie trailer – with profound emotional resonance and character development. Thus, the film can appeal to all audiences.

The film’s main character, Lightning McQueen (voiced by the incomparably charismatic Owen Wilson), evolves from selfish and greedy, “one-man show” – to quote one of his lines from early in the film – race car to a humble and genuine friend worthy of emulation. Ultimately, Cars offers invaluable insight into how one should carry out his or her life; that is, by transitioning from the fast-paced brouhaha that is life’s metaphorical “race track” and appreciating the little things. These fundamental aspects of life include nothing more than a drive in the forest, which Lightning takes with his love interest, Sally (Bonnie Hunt), a Porsche. Ultimately, Cars thrives in emphasizing the simplicity of life and the transition from youthful naïveté to mature wisdom that life engenders – that is, when it is carried out with dignity, friendship, and humility.

In addition, Cars’ soundtrack is among its greatest strengths, and this musical fortitude separates the film from its other Pixar counterparts – though, I will acknowledge, one can never omit Randy Newman’s “You’ve Got a Friend In Me” from Toy Story.* The soundtrack mixes timeless and modern hits, including “Route 66” by Chuck Berry; “Life Is a Highway” by Rascal Flatts; rock classic “Real Gone” by Sheryl Crow; “Find Yourself” by Brad Paisley; “My Heart Would Know” by Hank Williams; and perhaps the most powerful and emotional piece, “Our Town,” beautifully sung by James Taylor and written by Randy Newman. On a personal note, every time I hear, “Our Town,” I feel a knot in my stomach and I hold back tears, remembering all my deceased friends and family members. In addition, I begin to feel grateful for my life, and I am immensely moved. I hope you, too, will experience the song’s beauty here

*Interestingly, Newman also composed and conducted the Cars instrumental score!

Initially, Cars opens to Lightning’s first race, the championship of the coveted – albeit fictional – Piston Cup. Lightning exits his trailer and enters the crowded, flashbulb-filled motor speedway to the enthralling tune of Sheryl Crow’s rock classic, “Real Gone.” From that moment, the film absolutely takes off, and Pixar even includes renowned sports announcers, Bob Costas and Darrell Waltrip – whose characters are hilariously renamed Bob “Cutlass” and Darrell “Cartrip,” respectively –  as de facto narrators. This opening is exciting to such an extent that every time I watch it – especially at the 3:55 mark when the TV intro cuts back to the race and the refrain of “Real Gone” resumes – I feel a rush of energy and pure delight.

In the end, Cars‘ primary virtue is indeed its characters and the relationships between them. The film’s principal arc involves the relationship between Lightning and his disillusioned mentor, “Doc” Hudson (voiced by the late Paul Newman). Lightning’s blossoming friendships with Mater, a rusty tow truck (voiced brilliantly by stand-up comedian and redneck imitator, Larry the Cable Guy), and Sally offer a blend of comic relief and romance that serve as a deliberate contrast to Lightning’s former, high-flying race life.
Related image

For all its perfect animation and wonderful storytelling, Cars features one scene in particular that is mind-bogglingly clever and moving, and I believe it is the best scene in all Pixar movies. The film’s entire first and second acts lead up to the final, tiebreaking race between Lightning and his two rivals. This race, the inevitable climax of Lightning’s arc, is an epic contest that concludes with one of the most audacious scenes ever put to film. When Lightning’s rival, Piston Cup veteran, Strip “The King” Weathers, suffers a terrible crash in his final race, Lightning sacrifices the championship and breaks as hard as possible, coming to a complete stop on the finish line. He then lets the malicious Chick Hicks win the race, switches to reverse, and pushes The King across the finish line
File:Cqo1vWQWAAAWq8i.jpg
This scene encompasses Cars’ central theme: that racing is about more than just winning, and that character, rather than “an empty cup,” as Lightning puts it, is the true measure of oneself.

Image Credits (in order of appearance):

1.) http://soundeffects.wikia.com/wiki/File:Cars_2006_poster.jpg

2.) https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-604251790-kit-imprimible-cars-bolsitas-invitaciones-candy-_JM?quantity=1

3.) See below –

3 thoughts on “Why CARS Is the Best Pixar Film”

1. Reading this post absolutely made my morning. While I am not a firm believer that Cars is the best Pixar film (Wall-E is at the top of my list), Cars is definitely a close second and one of the most underrated Pixar films out there. I remember watching this movie when it first came out, as well, and I still love watching it to this day. I loved hearing about your personal connection, and one that wasn’t just about the sole fact that you watched it as a kid. Hearing your connections to Brad Paisley’s contribution to the soundtrack was touching. My cousin is an avid Cars fan, and would probably defend this movie (and its successors) to her death, and I understand why! Oddly enough, John Lasseter spoke at my boyfriend’s graduation this past May, as he sent his children to the same high school. Also, if you have ever seen The Incredibles, Edna Mode was modeled after the high school’s headmaster (look her up and you’ll see why, Janet Durgin of Sonoma Academy). Anyways, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post! I look forward to seeing more of your favorite movies, both French and American.

2. Thank you, Bentley! Your comment not only made my morning, it made my entire day! How cool that you have a connection to John Lasseter, however indirect. I sincerely wish I could’ve joined your boyfriend at his graduation. In addition, I looked up Janet Durgin, and her dog-holding, straight-haired, glasses-sporting persona is indeed quite reminiscent of Edna Mode. Very neat! Thanks again for your insight, Bentley; know that it is much appreciated.

3. I just want to say that I just read this after watching “Cars” yet again and it made me smile, it is beautiful and truthful.