Captain Marvel: Not Marvelous, but Not Bad At All

Image result for captain marvelImage Credit: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4154664/

Captain Marvel, released on March 8, 2019, is the newest film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU). With a runtime of 125 minutes, (two hours and five minutes), it packs more than a punch in terms of storytelling. However, while it may be a very entertaining and enjoyable film, it is not memorable.

As evidenced by its lower-than-average (for MCU films) Rotten Tomatoes score of 79 percent “fresh”—as of 3/14/2019—the film was not a complete critical success. Nevertheless, I wholeheartedly believe it is worth seeing, and as a fan, I was entirely captivated.

Image result for captain marvelImage Credit: https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/5/8/15559410/marvel-movies-ranked-avengers-captain-marvel-black-panther

Unfortunately, though I am quite fond of all the MCU flicks, for the purpose of this blog, my role is that of a critic, in which I must evaluate a film’s performance in various domains other than fan service. Thus, from a critical standpoint, I believe Captain Marvel checked several boxes without checking the most important one: originality.

In the film, the dynamic interplay between Captain Marvel/Carol Danvers (played by Brie Larson) and the younger version of SHIELD agent Nick Fury (played by Samuel L. Jackson for the ) propels the plot – and the characters’ application to the present-day MCU – forward quite humorously and eloquently. Where the film thrives is its intertwining of humor and emotion, with the necessary action set pieces thrown into the mix. British actress Lashana Lynch is among the film’s brightest stars as Maria Rambeau, Danvers’ best friend in the Air Force. Scenes filmed in Louisiana are perfectly filmed, with pristine shot composition offering Danvers—and viewers—a break from the high-flying (indeed, as Danvers does indeed unlock her flying ability by the film’s third act, as advertised in the trailer) superhero action. Rambeau’s 11-year-old daughter, portrayed by Akira Akbar, is perfectly-cast and a welcome addition to the cast of characters.

Now, you might be wondering, dear reader: what about Brie Larson?

Well, I didn’t find any real substantive problem with her performance. Given the script and Captain Marvel’s rebellious nature in the film, Larson is the easy choice for the character. She corresponds quite well. Some of her lines felt a little scripted in her delivery, but otherwise, everything was absolutely fine. I can’t wait to see her in the upcoming Avengers: Endgame—in theaters April 26!

Ultimately, Captain Marvel utilized the Marvel formula very successfully. Its incorporation of the alien Skrulls, a race from Marvel comic books, was nuanced and unexpectedly profound. Its “retro” look and style from the 1990s worked wonders. Its stellar cast, which included Jude Law, Ben Mendelsohn, and Gemma Chan, fit very well into all the roles. In the end, Captain Marvel was by all means a good movie, and that’s about all she wrote!

Final rating: 2.5 out of 4 stars

3 thoughts on “Captain Marvel: Not Marvelous, but Not Bad At All”

1. Sebastien,

Wow, what a very well written review. Unfortunately, I did not see Captain Marvel, but it was on my list of movies to watch. Like many people, I usually will look at the Rotten Tomatoes score before making a decision on whether or not the particular movie is worth watching. It does worry me that you say the film was not memorable or original in nature. I have watched some superhero movies in the past and have liked them quite a bit, but after awhile, they become predictable at times. I fear that this movie may be just that. Anyway, I’m more intrigued about the movie now that I have read your review. Now I have to read your other reviews to decide what movie I should watch next!

2. I was surprised by how in depth you are able to analyze a single movie! I agree that the Captain Marvel did lack in originality and seemed to follow the standard plot of superhero movies; however, what it lacked in that aspect was made up for by the humor and dialogue. I would have to admit that my favorite character was the cat. I was amazed too, by the portions of the film shot in Louisianan – the angle and contrast of the shots were beautiful.

3. Another solid review my brother. I agree, some of Larson’s lines did seem to be a little scripted and, how do I put this, Marvel-cliche-y, but I guess that is part of the beauty of Marvel. I, too, seriously cannot wait for the new movie to come out. Specifically with Captain Marvel, I can’t wait to see her kick ass in the MCU once again…however, I have such a weird gut feeling that the Mad Titan Thanos is going to be prepared for her and, although I don’t think she will die in the movie (b/c I think she’s gonna be huge in the next step of the Marvel timeline), for some reason I feel like he’s gonna capture her or something and the rest of the gang won’t be able to fully utilize her. Maybe it’s just cause we only see her in the trailer scenes that will only be in like the first 15 minutes of the movie. I could be wrong, idk, just can’t wait to see the movie. Well done!