Top Ten Shark Countdown #4

Who is the Shark of the Week!?!?!?

The Mako Shark!!!!

sharks_shortfin_mako_shark

The Facts:

The mako shark can grow up to be between 6 and 9 feet long, but there has been a few instances where they could grow up to 12 feet long. Compared to the other sharks on the countdown, this is probably the smallest, or one of the smallest, sharks on the Top Ten Countdown. Lengthwise, they are on the smaller side, but these sharks can weigh around 1000 pounds, which is heavy considering how long they are.

There are two types of mako sharks. There is the longfin and shortfin mako shark. The only difference between those two is that the longfin mako has larger eyes and pectoral fins. These sharks can be found virtually all over the world. They’re spotted in both shallow and deep waters and the temperature of the water doesn’t matter, they can live in cold or warm waters. Unlike some other shark species on the countdown, the mako shark is a solitary shark. It is rare if you see them with other makos. If you do see a mako in the water, be very careful. While they don’t “eat” people, they have been known to aggressively attack. These sharks are fearless and combined with the fact that they are thought to be the fastest shark out in the ocean (it’s been discovered that the salmon shark is actually the fastest, but unfortunately, the salmon shark just didn’t make the cut on the countdown) make them a top predator.

Fun Fact: The mako shark can reach speeds up to 60mph and on a regular basis they swim at 35mph.

Why did the mako shark make #4 on the countdown?

Look at the picture of the mako shark above and look at the tuna below.

expensive-tuna-fish

Notice how their tails are exactly alike. That’s not a coincidence.

What I find most interesting about the mako shark is it’s blatant example of adaptation. What do I mean by that? Well, the tuna fish is the main prey of a mako shark. As we all know, tuna fish are an extremely fast fish species. As a result, the mako shark, over time, adapted in order to seek out and catch this prey. That’s why their tails match that of a tuna’s and that’s why the mako shark can swim up to 60 mph.

When I think of this the phrase “you are what you eat” comes to mind.

Another reason why I love the mako shark is how extraordinarily beautiful they look. There’s something elegant and serene about their shape and appearance. These sharks are considered to be fearless and you can almost see that fearlessness in their face. Whenever I look at the mako shark, I have to first look at it’s tail to discern if it is indeed a mako shark because the shark bares resemblance to a great white shark. The mako kind of looks like a baby great white and I find that completely adorable.

Even though these sharks are considered shrimps to their bigger cousins, they make up for it in speed and attitude. The mako shark makes a statement.