Semester 2 Blogs

For the “This I Believe” podcast, I am still tossing around a few ideas, and searching for that spark of inspiration. I may recount the story of a heated tennis match from my high school career, in which I upheld my belief in sportsmanship in a surprising way. I called myself on an error I had made, and thereby put myself in line for a possible defeat. This alarmed my coach, but strengthened my own sense of fairness.

Another idea I am considering is the value of repose, and getting out of one’s routine. This past summer, I spent the summer primarily with my grandparents at the shore. I made this decision on my own, knowing it could be one of the few times in my life I would be able to take this time. By doing little but working and soaking up rays in a place where most people do little to nothing but relax, I gained so much. I might also change my belief into creating and making opportunities as they appear.

For my passion blog, I intend to change my topic this semester for a fresh start. I am a big proponent of the idea that typically, the book version of a story is much better than the movie. My blog will reflect on this notion by providing examples of novels and their corresponding films. Rather than taking a stance on which is better, I will compare and contrast the value of the different stylistic devices of both, so as to give both forms a fair shake.

For my Civic Issues Blog, I intend to have an Education theme. With this in mind, I wish to examine the changing landscape of the education system. I plan to consider the ramifications of the charter school system, particularly in lower income, urban areas. I also am thinking of delving into the technological advances in education, and how public schools are often giving students laptops and iPads, while others struggle to receive funding for textbooks. I may also consider technical, subject based high schools, such as S.T.E.M. academies, and Leadership high schools like those seen in the New York City school system.

One thought on “Semester 2 Blogs”

1. For your This I Believe podcast, I really like your first idea. I think that you can connect well with your audience at a college with such a big sports team as Penn State. Also, the notion that you would call out your own mistake would be shocking to some.
    As for your Passion Blog, I don’t think you have to hide your opinion that you think books are better. Maybe you didn’t mean that, but you seemed to think that you needed to appear impartial. It is one way to do it if that is what you want, but you could also angle it on comparing the two with the intention of showing the book’s higher level of entertainment. (Or whatever else it is that you are basing the “goodness” of the fictions on.)
    Good start to your Civic Issues blog ideas as well. They are all very relevant topics. Perhaps you might also want to talk about each kind of different school, with their problems and advantages? Just an idea. Keep up the good work!