RCL #1- It’s What I Do

I’m a girl of many passions- skiing, drawing, astronomy, reading, violin, and musicals, to name a few. Just the thought of one of these passions is enough to put a smile on my face, and if asked, I could talk for hours about any one of them. That said, astronomy and skiing hold special places in my heart. Astronomy is my academic obsession, while ski racing is practically a way of life.

Astronomy, to me, is the perfect science. It combines physics, chemistry, math, geology, meteorology, and more into something that, despite sounding “out-of-this-world,” is real! I love this subject very much and want to share it with people. However, outside of movies and some classrooms, astronomy is relatively inaccessible to the average person. The way I see it, though, it doesn’t have to be. Backyard astronomy is something anyone can do, and I want to show people how. In this passion blog, I would talk about my experiences with backyard astronomy and share techniques, tips, and general information with readers.

Ski racing, my other passion, is my favorite sport. I love watching it, and, even more, I love doing it. Unfortunately, people rarely know what it is outside of the Olympics. Alpine ski racing is a fast-paced, technical sport that deserves a much bigger following.  I hope that in writing a blog about it, I can get people interested. The point of this passion blog would be to share things like how the sport works, who the big competitors are, the science and techniques behind it, and my own personal experiences racing! There’s so much to this underrated sport, and I want to give it the recognition and praise it deserves.

In summary, the astronomy blog would try to help others do their own astronomy, and the ski racing blog would educate its readers on the world of alpine racing.

One thought on “RCL #1- It’s What I Do

1. Katherine, I love how your proposals are two very unique and totally different concepts. I think readers would love to understand both of these very low profile topics, especially your first idea of an astronomy blog. I personally love astronomy and use the app “skyview” to learn more about constellations in the sky above me. I think it would be really interesting if you included modern and more accessible ways for people to understand the night sky on their walk home on a starry evening. If you could include images and define certain astronomical events, especially the recent solar eclipse, I think readers could come to terms with such a rich subject and enjoy a science niche like astronomy with more fervor. Whether you choose either blog proposal, I think readers will be engaged and interested in learning more about you through your very intriguing passions.