It’s Eaten Bread!

You know how I feel about tying my shoes? ¡Es pan comido! How I feel about writing my name? ¡Es pan comido! Riding a bike? ¡Es pan comido! Saying the alphabet? Counting to ten? ¡Pan comido!

All of these things I listed are “really easy”- something we have no problem doing. When native Spanish speakers feel this way about something, they say “es pan comido,” which literally translates to “it’s eaten bread.”

What’s the English equivalent?

How about “It’s a piece of cake”?

While we immediately understand what “a piece of cake” means, “it’s eaten bread” really just doesn’t make sense. What is it that makes a piece of cake easier than eaten bread? Who knows? Plus, in all honestly, eaten bread is probably easier- it’s already eaten!

“It’s a piece of cake” does, I have to say, relate to America’s stereotypical sweet tooth. As I’m sure most of us can agree, it doesn’t take a lot of practice, skill, or effort to put down a piece of cake. It also doesn’t take a lot of convincing for us to eat cake, as it’s probably harder to NOT eat that delicious slice sitting in front of you. In fact, eating cake is a pretty simple thing to do. Anything that’s as easy as eating a piece of cake is pretty darn easy.

So where does the Spanish “it’s eaten bread” come from? The Spanish version follows about the same lines as the English version. Eating bread is a simple, regular act that we perform. We’ve all been eating since the beginning of time, and bread is a staple food that everybody consumes. You do it when you’re five, when your 98, man or woman, rich or poor, if you have diabetes or not. Everybody can eat bread. It is just another, simple act that Spanish speakers use to relate to any other easy activity.

This entry was posted in Best Of, Passion and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to It’s Eaten Bread!

1. Greece says:

really good

2. I view something truly special in this internet site.

3. Just desire to say your article is as astounding. The clearness in your post is simply great and i could assume you are an expert on this subject. Well with your permission let me to grab your feed to keep updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please continue the gratifying work.

4. continuously i used to read smaller posts which as well clear their motive,
    and that is also happening with this paragraph
    which I am reading here.

Feel free to visit my web page :: sun Dolphin kayak Review

5. I really like what you guys are usually up too. This kind of
    clever work and coverage! Keep up the terrific works guys I’ve added you guys to our blogroll.

For an incredible response please visit this website …
    six star testosterone booster review

6. It’s actually a nice and helpful piece of information. I’m glad that
    you just shared this helpful info with us. Please stay us informed like this.
    Thanks for sharing.

For a better response please visit this website; 3 6 17 androstenetrione testosterone booster (multiclancommunity.com)

7. Kate Kielceski says:

This was such an interesting comparison! When you first mentioned the translation, I was very confused by it. I was thinking, “Oh, what a ridiculous expression.” But as soon as you related it to “a piece of cake,” it made me realize just how strange the English language is as well! Your blog continues to be really interesting!

8. ayp5187 says:

I am going to use “pan comido” in my Spanish class to see if I can impress my teacher, thanks! This is really interesting. I never really thought about why we say “it’s a piece of cake,” but the fact that we say that and Spanish countries say “it’s eaten bread” says a lot about the differences in culture and may hint at why we have such a problem with obesity in our country.

9. Brecken Hart says:

“It’s eaten bread” really confused me at first…but then you pointed out that we use “a piece of cake.” Duh! It’s awesome how the two languages have similar idioms yet they wouldn’t make sense at all to either group.