TED Talk Self-Critique

So just watched my TED talk… it’s no wonder a lot of actors don’t watch themselves- it is kind of an uncomfortable thing. Although, I have to say I definitely did learn from it. I thought that, overall, my TED talk went well for the first time doing one. It was a whole new type of speaking, and something I wasn’t used to. I’m not used to not having notes in a formal setting like that. But for it being my first time, I thought it worked out. Shout out to Kate and Brigh for the power poses before class started.

I don’t know what the audience thought, but I talk with my hands a lot more than I realized, almost too much. And maybe it was the way that when I was watching it they were cutting in and out of the camera’s view, but I found them slightly distracting. I didn’t realize how much I really moved my arms and my hands and counted on my fingers, etc.

Fillers. I hate them. I always try my very best to eliminate them when I am speaking, but I counted two umms. Which I know isn’t a ton, but it’s two more than I would have preferred. If I could go back and change it, I would like to eliminate those.

I was actually really happy with the way my visual turned out. I liked that, for the most part, there weren’t words and sentences that were necessary to read. It was simple images and pictures that helped to get my point across, and I think (hope) that it did the trick.

A last thing I would change is the speed of my speech. I wasn’t speed racer, but I do tend to speak quickly no matter where I am. Especially when addressing a group or audience, I need to stop and remind myself to slow down. I think it’s very rare that you hear an audience wish that the speaker had spoken slower, and I think slower, clearer speech is much more effective.

I think that’s about all I have. I enjoyed the experience of a TED talk, and it was surprisingly very interesting to watch myself give one. I really enjoyed watching everybody else’s though, so great job guys!

This entry was posted in Work in Progress and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to TED Talk Self-Critique

1. Wonderful goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you’re just extremely magnificent. I really like what you have acquired here, certainly like what you’re stating and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it wise. I cant wait to read much more from you. This is actually a wonderful website.