Persuasion Essay Possibility

Right now I’m having a really hard time coming up with an issue I want to write my persuasive essay on. I’m thinking maybe I’ll do abortion. But I really don’t know. I’m pretty much pro-choice, so I guess I would be advocating the policy that is in place now. Unless I have to create my own policy? But here are some of the arguments I’m considering including in my paper.

• As stated earlier, the right to have an abortion is already in place. This decision was in the Rowe vs. Wade case, so I can look into details from this Supreme Court decision.
  • The fetus experiences in an abortion. There is speculation that some exists at 20 weeks, but almost all abortions are performed before 13 weeks.
  • The anti-abortion position is usually based on religious beliefs, which goes against church and state. Religious beliefs should not dictate laws.
  • Safety issues
    • It is actually safer for the woman. The risk of a woman’s death from abortion is less than one in 100,000. Whereas, the risk of a woman dying from giving birth is 13.3 deaths per 100,000 pregnancies.
    • The World Health Organization estimated in 2006 that “back-alley” abortions cause 68,000 maternal deaths each year in countries where abortion is not legal. Where abortion is legal, these deaths do not occur.
    • Future of the child
      • 73% of women reported having an abortion because they could not afford to raise it.
      • Should a child be brought up unwanted?
      • Rape cases- why should that girl (often very young) be forced to keep that child, or even just risk death while giving birth?

But, like I said, I’m still really really on the fence as to if I want to do this issue. There are still many parts of it that I’m unsure of. I’m also considering drinking age, stricter DUI penalties, or women in combat.

Site: http://abortion.procon.org/

This entry was posted in Work in Progress and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Persuasion Essay Possibility