It’s a Cold of Dogs

I don’t know about you guys, but I’m getting awfully tired of this cold. Doesn’t mother nature realize it’s Spring, and that Easter is only days away? Either way, we all have our ways to describe the cold, and so do Spanish-speakers. Simply to say “it’s cold” would be “hace frio,” but 45 degrees can still be “hace frio.” What about when it’s really cold? When it’s snowing and the wind chill is below ten degrees? Well, there are idioms for that. One of them is “hace un frío de perros, or “it’s a cold of dogs”. Similarly, you can also use “hace un frío que pela,” or “it’s a cold that peels.”

We have all sorts of sayings to describe the cold. “It’s freezing.” “I’m chilled to the bone.” Or, as my roommate says, “We’re in an ice cube.” Saying something like this means more than just “it’s cold.” It’s colder than cold.

But back to the Spanish- a cold of dogs? What does that mean? Good question. What makes dogs get the cold? In general, Spanish speakers use “de perros” to refer to something unpleasant. Maybe it’s an unpleasant smell, an unpleasant situation, or, as in this case, unpleasant weather. My guess is that it goes back to when dogs were wilder, and you didn’t find one as the common household pet that cuddled on the couch and earned a stocking at Christmas time, or even traveled in a purse wearing a sweater. Dogs used to be dirty and smelly, and while loved, were often viewed as working partners, instead of the beloved members or our families.

So, no, dogs are not literally cold, but there was a time when they were unpleasant. And the cold that’s been going on for multiple months now is DEFINITELY unpleasant.

Just for fun…

sweaters...

sweaters…

and purses too!

and purses too!

This entry was posted in Passion and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to It’s a Cold of Dogs

1. That is the suitable weblog for anyone who desires to search out out about this topic. You notice a lot its nearly exhausting to argue with you (not that I truly would need…HaHa). You undoubtedly put a new spin on a subject thats been written about for years. Nice stuff, simply great!

2. very good publish, i actually love this web site, carry on it

3. omr says:

It’s laborious to find educated folks on this topic, but you sound like you know what you’re speaking about! Thanks

4. We’re a group of volunteers and starting a brand new scheme in our community. Your website offered us with useful info to paintings on. You have performed an impressive activity and our entire neighborhood might be thankful to you.

5. I’m now not certain the place you are getting your information, but great topic. I needs to spend some time finding out more or working out more. Thank you for fantastic information I used to be in search of this information for my mission.

6. Can I just say what a aid to search out somebody who really is aware of what theyre speaking about on the internet. You positively know tips on how to deliver an issue to gentle and make it important. More individuals have to learn this and perceive this side of the story. I cant consider youre not more common because you definitely have the gift.

7. mascotas says:

Hello I maria there, just changed into alert to your blog through Google, and found that it’s truly informative. Yo tengo un weblog de perros, y estoy muy contenta de que haya muchos mas por internet. bsos

8. You’re so cool! I do not think I’ve read something like that before.

So great to find someone with unique thoughts on this subject matter.
    Really.. many thanks for starting this up.
    This website is something that’s needed on the internet, someone with some originality!

Review my web blog … minn kota talon vs power pole

9. La sentencia se anotará en el margen del asiento de nacimiento del adoptado la adoptada,
    en el registro de nacimientos.

10. Hi there! Quick question that’s completely off topic.
    Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly?
    My web site looks weird when browsing from my
    iphone. I’m trying to find a template or plugin that might be able to fix
    this issue. If you have any suggestions, please share.
    Appreciate it!

Check out my page; portable tv Dvd player

11. Hello I mery there, just was aware of your weblog through Google, and located that it’s truly informative. Yo tengo un sitio de perros, y estoy con ganas de que haya muchos mas por internet. bsos

12. Magnificent issues altogether, you simply gained a new reader. What may you recommend in regards to your post that you just made a few days ago? Any sure?

13. There is certainly a lot to learn about this topic. I like all the points you have made.