“Sheeesh”

If you’re an avid social media user, you’ve probably seen or heard the word “sheesh” somewhere. I’m not talking about sheesh, the word used to negatively express disbelief, surprise, or annoyance. This meaning is more positive and sometimes used as a compliment. So what does it mean?

According to Urban Dictionary, sheesh basically means “Dammmmmm.” Different from its original 1955 definition, it conveys how impressed someone is, is used to hype something/someone up, or is used to express excitement.

kingjames O Aug 27, 2017 at 12:42 PM Damn you're Stunning!! Lead to the way Beautiful!! Happy Beautiful B-day my O! Proud of everything you've become and what's more exciting is you're still growing into your own! I'm lucky I get to be apart of it all! Love you so much and it's an honor to be your husband but more importantly your best friend! Oh by the way this is a mother of 3 kids(all natural birth) #Sheeshe #VannahLove #happybirthdayV #livelaughlove e photo c/o @celebritywotnot Clothing Joint Shoe Outerwear Leg Dress Luggage and bags Thigh Gesture Street fashion Waist Hat Knee Bag Flooring Blazer Fashion design Formal wear Handbag
Image Source.

But the sheesh that we hear today is not new to 2021. In fact, its role in drip culture began in 2017. Professional NBA player, Lebron James, is known to use sheesh and #sheesh in his Instagram posts. He often uses it to show excitement or postive feelings, so you could say he helped modernize the use of the word. Soon after, other celebrities began to use it in social media, and even rappers in their music. You can technically use it in any context now, but in the past week, many people have been using it as either a compliment or with hints of mockery.

It blew up on TikTok when @meetjulio posted a video of a frog, while people in the background continuously yelled “sheeeesh.” Today, the TikTok has 3.7 million views and the sound has gone viral in multiple renditions of the sheesh trend.

@meetjulio

Ayo dm me fo meetup #julio #slime

♬ Sheeeshhh – King Julio

With the abundant employment of the word sheesh, the options of what to do with the TikTok are endless. Some have chosen to purposefully brag about accomplishments such as a new car or clothes, while many videos that can be found under the sound are memes.

These parodies often joke about something about the future. Let’s look at an example!

@brintmitchell

#greenscreen #sheeesh #theboys #dads #decks #dadlife

♬ Sheeeshhh – King Julio

Additionally, there is a stance that people usually take when saying sheesh. It’s called the “ice in my veins” pose.

The phrase/pose which means “cold-blooded” actually originated from sports. In games, it is typically applied during the final minutes as a sign of using strength and determination to succeed. It began when D’angelo Russell started using it as a celebration pose.

Ice In My Veins Pose depicting NBA player D'Angelo Russell pointing to his arm.
Image Source.

In an interview with GQ, he said, “It’s something my dad said growing up. He always said you have to be prepared for big moments, you gotta have ice in your veins. You have to have no feelings. You have to go out there and play your hardest and do what you do. That was the celebration what I performed well and knowing he prepared me mentally.”

But TikTok has totally transformed it, to the point where the original pose has lost its meaning. On the app, it is just known as the “TikTok arm thing.”

@star4x

#greenscreen

♬ Sheeeshhh – King Julio

Well now you know about the interesting back story behind the sheesh/ice in my veins trend! Next time you hear someone yell it on campus (which I hear almost everyday now), you’ll be in on the trend!

4 thoughts on ““Sheeesh”

1. Oh my God I love this! I’ve seen both of these trends for so long, but had no idea where they came from. Thank you so much for sharing. I always assumed that the “sheesh” audio originated on Vine for some reason(?). It was such a “thing” in high school my friends would say; I had no idea it originated from Lebron James. It’s crazy how things can be popularized, taken out of meaning, and then made into something totally different!

2. Oh my goodness, thank you for writing this blog post. My friends always joke that I am a boomer because I seem to act like a grandma; for example, I never know what the new slang means (my most embarrassing moment was when I had to ask my friends about a year ago what “smh” meant). Anyways, I had no idea what “sheesh” meant until now! 😂 I have loved reading your blogs because it explains and discusses all the trends I see on my own For You Page!

3. I have been hearing this sound everywhere and finally I know what it is from! I leave my window open at night and hear kids yelling this all night. I think it is so interesting to see how these trends start and become popular. It seems like the most random things can blow up if it is at the right time. It kind of expresses the importance of kairos, if something is released at the right time on the right platform it can really blow up. Thank you for posting this so next time I know why everyone is yelling “sheeeesh” out my window.

4. It is finally nice to see a trend that I have actually seen on my own For You Page. Personally I have been hearing this sound on tiktok everyday and from my friends every day as well. I think it is one of the funniest things I have seen on tiktok in a while and it is nice to see other people enjoying it as much as I am. Its also nice to know where these trends are from because you can join in on them. Great Post!