Is That It?

In the last post, I talked about different things you can do in D.C., mainly the different museums and monuments.  However, I really only focused on national monuments and Smithsonian Museums. There is so much more than just that and I would be doing the city an injustice not bringing up more.

I will begin with a few more additional things to do in the city for free. First off is the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. This museum is a somber experience but definitely worth the visit.

Next up is the United States Botanic Garden. Located at the end of the mall by the capital, this place is one of my mom and I’s favorite places to go. The range of different plants you will find is vast and there is no end of small gardens and alcoves with fountains to explore. Additionally, in the main greenhouse area, there is a raised walkway that very few know about to explore the different trees and plants from a different perspective (not recommended for people afraid of hights). Not only is there inside exhibits of plants, but also outdoor gardens with additional offerings of an array of plants.

Now I talked about national monuments but didn’t cover national landmarks. By that, I mean the Capital, White House, Supreme Court, Libary of Congress, and other such buildings.  You can take a tour of the White House (for free) by requestion a ticket through your local congressmen, however, this must be down well in advance of your trip. The same applies for tours of the capital but there is also the option of obtain same-day tickets based on availability. For the Libary of Congress and the Supreme Court, there are no guided tours but you can go in and tour at your leisure. All of these places are a must go to at least once because each are so unique and fascinating to see.

Another great thing to see in the city is going to a Nats game (the Nationals; the D.C based baseball team). Downside is it isn’t free but with that being said it is relatively easy to get tickets and they are not that expensive. The team is a fairly decent one and Nats park is a great place and is fairly new. Additionally, where it is located, Navy Yard, is a new and upcoming place. A lot of new parks, attractions, stores, shops, and restaurants are going into that area and is now referred to as Capital River Front (Check out the website for more details).

That is one thing I love about D.C., they never stop expanding the city and improving it. You have the history and significance of the city that reminds you of our past and the things we have accomplished, but also, you have the modern part of the city. The outlining neighborhoods in the city have been making a turn from dilapidated areas to new and upcoming places to be. Because of this constant growth and cconstruction, there is always somewhere new to go and see.