Deliberation Experience

I thought the whole deliberation process was interesting. It was a nice change from sitting in class listening to a lecture or writing a paper on our own. I liked how we had group discussions where everyone had a chance to voice their personal stake in the situation and add their own input at any time. It was interesting to hear where everyone in the group stood on the situations. We built upon each others ideas to form what we thought to be the best solution to the issues discussed. The deliberations were a lot more relaxed and informal than I anticipated them to be, but I liked it because it didn’t feel like work, it was more of just a conversation between peers about important issues.

My idea for the recommendation report is that State College police should not try to end State Patty’s Day altogether, but should rather follow the same procedure they do for football weekends. The two events draw similar crowds in terms of number and both events are filled with binge drinking and the bars make the same amount of money on the two occasions. It would be more effective to stop trying to end the “holiday” but control the crowd more by putting more police on duty to stop things from getting out of hand.