Funding for Embedded Courses

Funding from the College of the Liberal Arts

Liberal Arts Enrichment Funds The College of the Liberal Arts has modest funds available to assist Liberal Arts students participating in embedded programs and other study abroad experiences- whether the program is offered through the College of the Liberal Arts or through another college.

Liberal Arts majors seeking financial support for a global experience are encouraged to apply to the Liberal Arts Enrichment Funds Application System. These funds are donated by generous Liberal Arts alumni and students are encouraged to include thoughtful and appreciative responses in their application. The quality of your responses will be taken into consideration when reviewing your application.

Liberal Arts Embedded Program Enrichment Funds: Liberal Arts majors participating in a Liberal Arts embedded program are eligible to apply for $750, which will be applied to their student bursar account. Students must complete the Official Embedded Program Commitment Form for their program before applying for Enrichment Funds – and they must submit a screenshot of their commitment form to upload as their ‘acceptance letter’ in their application. Students should submit application for the semester in which the travel experience will take place – see application deadlines below.

Eligibility- Applicants must be undergraduate students and have at least one major in the College of the Liberal Arts at University Park or World Campus and be registered as full-time students. Students with only minors in the College of the Liberal Arts are not eligible for this funding. Read the Liberal Arts Enrichment Funds website carefully for details about eligibility, timing and logistics of funding.

  • Fall/Winter Embedded Program Travel – Applications Open: Mid-Summer; Priority Deadline: September 1
  • Spring Embedded Program Travel – Applications Open: Mid-Fall; Priority Deadline: December 1
  • Summer Embedded Program Travel (Maymester) – Applications Open: Mid-Spring; Deadline: May 1

Liberal Arts Departmental Funds- When you apply for Liberal Arts Enrichment Funds, the application information will also be shared with your academic department, in the event they have department-based resources to support your study abroad experience.

Paterno Fellows Funds- When you Fellows apply for Liberal Arts Enrichment funds, being a Paterno Fellow is taken into consideration when determining the amount of funding you will receive.

Funding from Education Abroad

Education Abroad Embedded Programs Scholarship– The Penn State Education Abroad Office also offers one scholarship for embedded programs. This $1,000 scholarship supports Penn State undergraduate students participating in officially recognized faculty-led embedded programs.

  • Application Deadlines- Spring Break Travel: January 15; Summer/Maymester Travel: March 15; Fall/Winter Travel: October 1
  • Eligibility– All applicants must have a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on file with the Office of Student Aid at Penn State.  Your FAFSA must already be on file for the semester of travel.  International students are encouraged to apply and, in lieu of the FAFSA form, must complete an International Student Special Grant Application, located on the scholarship website.
  • Considerations- The primary factor considered, in consultation with the Office of Student Aid, is the applicant’s financial need. Applicants will be notified via email one month after the application deadline. Awards will be distributed to the student’s account via the Office of the Bursar, and may not be disbursed to a student’s account until at least two months after the application deadline

Funding from Schreyer Honors College

Schreyer Ambassador Travel Grant If you are a Schreyer Honors Scholar, you can apply for a  Schreyer Ambassador Travel Grant. Information about application requirements and deadlines can be found on the Honors College website.

Funding for Other Global Experiences:

Education Abroad Scholarships Education Abroad offers a variety of study abroad scholarships managed by Penn State, and also provides information about external study abroad scholarships.

University Fellowships Office The University Fellowships Office educates students about numerous fellowship opportunities that can provide students with opportunities to study, research or teach abroad. Fellowship opportunities include funding for global experiences for students who are Pell Grant recipients, students who are interested in specific languages or professional fields, students who are interested in teaching abroad, and more.

Student Engagement Network All Penn State students are able to apply for a grant for a variety of engagement activities, such as study abroad, through the Student Engagement Network.