- Claim your account by entering your unique code at bluehost Spoke. This directs you to the bluehost sign up page.
- Enter your domain name.
- Fill out “Account Information” and make sure you have select the “Account Plan: 12 month free” and that your redemption code is entered.
- Create secure password. Put your password somewhere safe!
- Log in to your account.
Review the cPanel
- MySQL Databases
- File Manager
- FTP Accounts
- MojoMarketplace (Simple Scripts): Weebly, Drupal, Wordpress
- Domains: Register a new domain, Subdomains
Review the File Manager
- public_html (www) — this is where your public folder/sites live
- New Folder, Copy, Move, Rename, Upload, Download, Delete
- Edit (built in code editor)
Build a WordPress site
Create new database and user for our WordPress installation
- Enter new database name (portfolio), click “Create Database”
- Scroll down to “Add new user”; Create a username (I used “admin”); Create and confirm password; Click “Create user”
- Scroll down to “Add new user to database”; Select user from pulldown menu; Select database from pulldown menu; Click “Add” — This directs you to a new page.
- Check the “All privileges” box; Click on “Make Changes”
Create a folder for your WordPress site (unless you want your base domain to go straight to your site)
- Select the File Manager
- Select “public_html”
- Click on “New Folder” icon
- Enter new folder name (portfolio). This will become part of the url to the site, zB http://kirschbombe.com/portfolio
- Click “Create new folder” — see your new folder there?
- From the cPanel, select WordPress — this will take you to MojoMarketplace
- Click on “Start”
- Select the domain where you would like to install your site (you have only one). If you want your site in the folder you created, simply append the url with the folder name. Otherwise, leave blank.
- Follow instructions
- Manual install vs. automatic — want to use the database we created, so will use manual option