The Dance Community

Did you ever hear the expression “it’s a dance thing?” If you were to look into the true meaning of that saying, you would find that every dancer can relate to the same things. Dancers all share a burning passion for their art and each individual knows what dance means to them. There is an unexplainable bond between all dancers no matter what studio they practice in or what competition they have won. Personally in my two weeks at State College I have discovered that dancers from all around the world share this connection, not just within my hometown. For example, just last night I was in the dining commons and I was having a conversation with someone I had never met. We were having a conversation filled with small talk until I had mentioned that I was a dancer, twisting the discussion into one which would have been had between friends that had known each other for years. We were not similar in our styles of dance but we had one thing in common- we both loved expressing ourselves through movement. Fellow dancers are always inviting and eager to share their stories with dance and learn from others’ experiences. Only other people that share the same love for dance will understand why we give up so much and why we practice so hard for a three minute performance. Although dance can be very competitive with so few jobs available in the field, everyone is supportive of one another by using their competition to only grow and improve. Not only can you bond with fellow dancers upon meeting them, but there is also an unexplainable connection that is created between you and your dance team when performing on stage together. The amount of teamwork, effort, and commitment displayed in a performance generates an unforgettable relation. Every member of the dance community has people all over the world whom they can relate to, just by sharing their devotion to dance.

One thought on “The Dance Community

1. I have never wanted to be a dancer, probably because I can’t dance to save my life. But I understand when you explained that dance makes you a part of a community and that it brings you a sense of “togetherness”. I never thought that dancing in a group entailed this much detail. When you think about it there are a lot of activities that bring us that sense of home. Currently I am rushing a sorority and when/if I get a bid, I will also feel that sense of community. I’m happy that dancing brings you so much joy!