Vail, Colorado

Hi everyone! Since the end of the last semester we’ve officially entered ski season! As an avid snowboarder, the passion I’ll highlight for this amazing season of winter is my ratings and commentary on all of the ski resorts I’ve been to- and the ones I hope to visit. This blog will take a chronological approach- beginning with where I first learned to snowboard: Vail, Colorado.

A family-and-friends vacation in December 2021 started my journey with snowboarding. It is here that I first learned to appreciate not knowing how to do everything by yourself. As an overconfident teenager, I took to the slopes on the first day armed with rentals and a wiki-how article. My family of avid skiers weren’t able to help me navigate strapping my feet to a board, and I was incredibly determined to not have to take lessons from anyone.

I went back to the hotel four hours later bruised and, admittedly, crying- already having signed up for lessons the next day. Unfortunately, my instructions didn’t help me as much as I thought they would. As humiliating as my first day was, I am glad I had the experience that day of failure to guide me and the resolve to not give up. My second day, however, allowed me to meet others who were also gaining their bearings and to connect with others who could boost my spirits and persuade me to keep going. Here, I was actually able to appreciate the mountain and get down some fresh snow.

Overall, Vail’s resort boasts one of the most impressive trail systems in the U.S, with its infamous “back bowl” backcountry terrain. It has over 270 trails, spread across 33 lifts. Even in the height of the holiday season, I found that there is enough mountain that skiers and boarders don’t feel very crowded.

As I gain more knowledge, I have come to see the issues with Vail Resorts (including, but not limited to running small companies out of business, creating monopolies on ski resorts, hiking prices and overall making skiing less accessible), and I don’t think I’d go back to that specific resort any time soon- especially for what they are charging. However, skiing in Colorado is leagues above anything the east coast could provide, and the ability to be able to go to a mountain that impressive is a gift on its own. I had a fantastic experience being able to learn to snowboard on that mountain that I immediately became obsessed as soon as I came back to North Carolina- which prompted the next season of mountains I visited. In upcoming posts, I will talk about my home-state mountains and my experiences with Pennsylvania mountains as I moved to Penn State.

Until next week, happy shredding!

5 thoughts on “Vail, Colorado

1. I really like your balance of narrative story and thoughtful analysis of the slopes! I’m really curious to hear your thoughts on PA’s offerings, and how it’s been transitioning your hobby to Penn State. Great job

2. I have never been skiing, but this blog has convinced me to try it! I liked how you reviewed the resort with both factual and personal elements. It made it more realistic and believable. I also like how you made it inspirational with the part about failure. Overall this was a simple and entertaining read and I am excited to see what ski places you review later on!

3. I have never been skiing, but I was very intrigued by your blogs because of all the details and experiences you highlighted from just one of the trips you have had. I can’t wait to hear more about your experience here in PSU with skiing!

4. I grew up a skiier, and only tried my hand at snowboarding when I was 14 years old. It’s a humbling experience for sure! It must’ve been interesting going from Vail to the east coast, so I’m excited to see what you will write next!